If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

[BlenderBIM] IfcZone in BlenderBIM addon

edited August 2022 in General

Dear Community,
is there a way to correctly assign Spaces to an IfcZone in BlenderBIM? I tried to make a group wit the Objecttype IfcZone and assign that, but in this case it gets handled as a "normal" group for the connected spaces, not as an IfcZone. This is not working for me as Solibri MC does not accept a group as a Zone.

I also tried to add a new object (BuildingElementProxy) and change it into a zone, which works but I dont know how to establish the "IfcRelAssignsToGroup"-relationship to an zone-object that is created this way. Adding a new group with the same name as the zone-object in the Scene Properties does not connect the spaces to the zone.

Maxtheoryshaw

Comments

• Good question. I don't know of a way.
    It doesn't even seem to expose the relationship in the UI, if you import an IFC file that has IfcZone in it.

• edited May 2023

Hello guys, I had the same problem, but I think I figured it out. I didn't find any relevant discussion about IfcZones, so I uploaded a screen video (Ifz_Zone_Cliphamp.rar -> it was the only way to upload it and sorry for the qualit) here and some screenshots!

One of these image is from Revit and I assigned to ROOM 5 & 6 -> ZoneName = A and then export my model to IFC.
    The other one is how IfcZone =A appears in BlenderBIM add-on.
    For the end as the screen video showss (.rar)I made a new IfcZone in Blender and I assigned to it Spaces 3 & 4.

• edited May 2023

I have been hacking the thing about IfcZone because I use it for energy analysis. Currently to:

Create an IfcZone:

1. Scene properties
    2. IfcServices (This one is confusing because I think it was initially supposed to host only building services IfcGroup)
    3. Ifc Systems (because IfcZone it is a subclass of IfcSystem)
    4. Press «+»
    5. Select IfcZone

Add a space to an IfcZone:

1. Select a space
    2. In IfcServices -> IfcSystems
    3. Press «+» on the IfcZone you want to assign the space to (althought I have currently a bug, it doesn't work). I'll try to check why tomorrow.

So @PavlosDem9 was right.

PavlosDem9Ace