Making an IfcGroup and copy/paste along a grid

edited October 26 in General

Comments

• How do you make an IfcGroup?
    I modelled a truss with IfcBeamType instances and the BIM tool, it works so insanely fast with the Shift+E and miter tool, so nice:

Now I would like to make this a group and copy paste it along a grid.

• I would assume you'd like to have all these trusses in a 1 to many relationship. That is, if you change one, they all change.
    Unfortunately, if all the members(chords) are individual ifcbeamtype instances, there's no way that i know that you can do this.
    The following conversations speak to this short coming...

If you want to make them obey a 1 to many relationship, you would have to remove the type assignment to each member(chord), and then join all these meshes into one, and then reassign it to a class like IfcElementAssemblyType, and create the instances.

I know, sad. :)
    FYI, there is functionality in the schema where the local placement of an object can be tied to a grid or linear element.

But, from what i know, IfcOpenShell doesn't support it yet.

CoenAceGorgious
  • ArvArv
    edited November 23

this is quite a setback in preserving the construction detail and data esp when you have multiple geometries and multiple materials assigned to them :(
    I did try with IfcElementAssemblyType but without any luck.

CoentheoryshawCadGiru
  • @theoryshaw said:
    If you want to make them obey a 1 to many relationship, you would have to remove the type assignment to each member(chord), and then join all these meshes into one, and then reassign it to a class like IfcElementAssemblyType, and create the instances.

maybe to make life a bit easier you can use blender python to unlink the ifc elements with a for loop.
    bpy.context.selected_objects and bpy.ops.bim.unlink_object()
    remember to select all the objects first and also to import ifcopenshell

Coen
  • edited November 25

Note it's not mandatory to select the objects beforehand, you can use an override :

with bpy.context.temp_override(selected_objects=objects_to_unlink):
        bpy.ops.bim.unlink_object()

For anyone wondering, that's the main benefit of using the provided context and not bpy.context in an operator execute.
    Link to the operator class

ArvCoentheoryshaw