[BlenderBIM] IfcArbitraryClosedProfileDef and IfcLShapeProfileDef for an IfcBeamType

Hello, is there a way to draw an IfcArbitraryClosedProfileDef for an IfcBeamType ? I need to model this beam :
Btw here the thickness is not uniform, so it could not be an IfcLShapeProfileDef anyway. But if it was, the L is reversed in the standard, and therefore when adding with BlenderBIM. Is there a standard way to reverse it?

Comments

• I don't think so, would be awesome to see this functionality, however.
    seems like a UI like this would be appropriate.

RaphaëlVouilloz
  • Interesting question, I need to experiment with these profile shapes a bit more

Slightly related, how does IFC support custom complex profiles?, see this example from Archipack PRO with moldings:

How would one semantically correct define this in IFC if it's possible?

RaphaëlVouilloz
  • @Coen IFC profiles can be any ifccurve. So you can have straight lines, arcs, conics, splines, and combinations of these

Coen
  • @RaphaëlVouilloz
    FYI, @Moult justed added functionality to create reusable profiles...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zstdjzx5znsclp4/2022-11-03_08-40-38_Blender_blender.mp4?dl=0
    Seems like there's a bug however, when copying an object, as the link is broken.

RaphaëlVouillozCoenAceArv
  • Exactly what I need! I'll try it out thanks

• edited November 2022

I added an IfcBeamType instance through the Launch Type Manager menu,
    Now I want to change the profile, but this menu is new to me:

How do I add a profile?
    EDIT:

Never mind, I watched @theoryshaws clip, See it's under Scene Properties -> IFC Geometry

Ace
  • edited November 2022

@Coen I'm set out on a quest for UI papercuts :) Do you think an additional interface to display / change the parameters of the particular profile that's used in the material properties would be more intuitive ? On the one hand it's a bit unwieldy because the material properties subpanel is settings under settings under settings when you use a parametric material but on the other hand the need right now to change the editor to the scene properties and dig into the whole list of profiles seems a bit disruptive.

• BTW protip with the new docs functionality you can get schematics of the parameters of the curve profile with a few clicks.

CoentheoryshawAceCadGirucvillagrasaArv
  • @Gorgious

Do you think an additional interface to display / change the parameters of the particular profile that's used in the material properties would be more intuitive ? On the one hand it's a bit unwieldy because the material properties subpanel is settings under settings under settings when you use a parametric material but on the other hand the need right now to change the editor to the scene properties and dig into the whole list of profiles seems a bit disruptive.

It probably would be more intuitive, but the downside it would really clutter up the Blender UI I think, something similar to the Archipack UI would be nice

• The command is great but I have some remarks:
    IFC Profiles contains also all profiles of walls :
    I understand but I find it a bit confusing for the user. What do you think about hiding it, or a way to sort it?
    Because when you create an IfcBeamType and assign an IfcMaterialProfileSet, it means that you could select the profile of a wall. It would also be interesting to be able to create a profile directly from this menu:

• @RaphaëlVouilloz said:
    The command is great but I have some remarks:
    IFC Profiles contains also all profiles of walls :
    I understand but I find it a bit confusing for the user. What do you think about hiding it, or a way to sort it?
    Because when you create an IfcBeamType and assign an IfcMaterialProfileSet, it means that you could select the profile of a wall. It would also be interesting to be able to create a profile directly from this menu:

I agree, that UI is confusing. Would also like to see a preview of the section profile, in the Type Launch Manager I see previews of profiles.

Could something similar be created for managing of Profiles?

Slightly related, how do I name or rename the profile using the ifcopenshell.api ?

RaphaëlVouilloz
  • The wall profiles is definitely a critical oversight. Now fixed: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/commit/a2362668a33803a0d04e4bde92f82e3ab74a8e3e - only named profiles are managed.

Could something similar be created for managing of Profiles?

Great idea!

Slightly related, how do I name or rename the profile using the ifcopenshell.api ?

To rename a profile you don't need the API just get the profile and do profile.ProfileName = "Foo".

CoenCadGiru
  • @Moult I think we need to see unnamed profiles that are not used for slabs and walls, if only so we can name them.

I believe that the interface only copes with Profile Sets that have a single profile. Is it worth handling compound profiles? These are conceptually hard for end users.

• @brunopostle I guess the way I see it is that any meaningful profile should be named from the get-go. Anything unnamed is considered arbitrary. But you're right, if someone does want to use a meaningful profile for a slab or wall, it would be good to have a way to do that, maybe a button that says "convert to named profile" which seems as little crass but gets the job done.

Yeah there is only partial support for compound profiles right now (we should display it, but editing right now assumes one profile only). Still quite a bit of work to do.

• @Moult the use-case I was thinking-of was cleaning up existing models. If a beam profile doesn't have a name (for whatever reason) then blenderbim is the tool to give it a name.

Moult
  • edited November 2022

Creating a new IfcArbitraryClosedProfileDef is sometimes working, sometimes not, following the same process. Sometimes, when I come back to Edit Profile, everything is gone. For example, on this model, the IfcArbitraryClosedProfileDef 100x150mm.
    Zooming on :
    While the 100x160mm works:

• @RaphaëlVouilloz said:

Creating a new IfcArbitraryClosedProfileDef is sometimes working, sometimes not, following the same process. Sometimes, when I come back to Edit Profile, everything is gone. For example, on this model, the IfcArbitraryClosedProfileDef 100x150mm.
    Zooming on :
    While the 100x160mm works:

Are you certain you have no overlapping vertices?

paullee
  • edited November 2022

Yes, I'm pretty sure because it's a simple drawing, I haven't duplicated any vertices.
    Also, on my working 100x160mm, if I click Edit Profile / Save Profile several times (without changing anything), I get these bugs (two tries):

• @RaphaëlVouilloz said:
    Yes, I'm pretty sure because it's a simple drawing, I haven't duplicated any vertices.
    Also, on my working 100x160mm, if I click Edit Profile / Save Profile several times (without changing anything), I get these bugs (two tries):

Has this already been mentioned in Github issues? :-)

• Hi Coen and happy new year all
    At least not by me, I have just reported here

• I am getting slightly frustrated with myself here.

I knew I was able to create a IfcBeamType instancce with parametric profiels through the Blender UI.

Only now I completely forgot on how to do it...

Is there a tutorial somewhere?

• @Coen said:
    I am getting slightly frustrated with myself here.

I knew I was able to create a IfcBeamType instancce with parametric profiels through the Blender UI.

Also I have just published new chapters on this today :
    https://enac-cnpa.github.io/BlenderBIM-Tutoriel-Villa-Le-Sextant/5_modelisation-ifc.html
    I hope it helps

CoenGorgious
  • edited January 2023

@RaphaëlVouilloz said:

@Coen said:
    I am getting slightly frustrated with myself here.

Also I have just published new chapters on this today :
    https://enac-cnpa.github.io/BlenderBIM-Tutoriel-Villa-Le-Sextant/5_modelisation-ifc.html
    I hope it helps

Thank you , this way I can learn French and BlenderBIM at the same time. ;-)

RaphaëlVouillozGorgious
  • Hello, this seems to be a bug? On bimblenderbim-230131, the plus button no longer works to add an IfcMaterialProfileSet to an IfcBeamType or IfcMemberType :

• hmm... i can't seem to replicate.

• @theoryshaw said:
    hmm... i can't seem to replicate.

Sorry, it seems to be my bad, it now works on my computer too. I can't say why it didn't work, I even restarted Blender with a new IFC... Thanks for testing

theoryshaw
  • In the latest unstable release I cant' see the IfcParametrizedProfileDef anywhere, where I could adjust the X and Y dimension. Also some questions, if I create a beam array what would be the most logical place to edit the profile?

• the profile itself
    • the instance
    • the type