[bSI] What is the current status of IFC4.3 in the ISO Process?

edited May 2023 in General

In this Blogpost from bSI, they explain what is the plan for IFC4.3. In it is the following image:

So, after 15 May, there are three possible paths, does someone know in which path the IFC4.3 is now? There was no new news at the bSI Site.

Tagged:

Comments

• I think we're in "approval with significant comments". In the end the wording of 'significant' is a bit arbitrary and actually more of an internal choice to allow for some extra time by going the fdis route to clarify the few remaining points in collaboration with the vendors.

Martin156131cvillagrasa
  • It's the yellow track. ISO decided there needs to be an FDIS due to the amount of comments. Full statement will be on the website soon.

Martin156131cvillagrasa
  • Hi, may I ask for information about the schema identifiers for versions 4.3.0.0, 4.3.0.1 (TC1) and 4.3.1.0 (ADD1)?

For me, it would make total sense that "IFC4X3" corresponded to the latest stable version of 4X3, so that now it was TC1 in accordance with the technical specifications, when TC1 becomes ISO it would remain unchanged, and when ADD1 becomes ISO in the future it would update to it. Does this make sense? or TC1 and ADD1 are going to be explicitly "IFC4X3_TC1" and "IFC4X3_ADD1", with "IFC4X3" always referring to 4.3.0.0? I believe that if the latter was the case, it could lead to some confusion when users were to create a new file.

I ask because it seems that now, the schema identifier "IFC4X3" in ifcopenshell is referring to deprecated 4.3.0.0, and it seems that the underlying reason is the uncertainty about future schema identifiers.

• The iso version will probably be 4.3.2.0.
    The express identifier for that version is not set yet, but will probably be 4x3_add2.
    Note the amount of "probably" in here.

• Oh ok! thanks for the answer. I thought there were different paths to ISO for every 4.3 subversion, when it seems they're all in the same path. Everyday I learn something ?

And... by any chance, is it possible to know the answer to the following question also? even with three preceding "probably" ?. At the time when presumably 4.3.2.0 is out and its schema identifier may be "IFC4X3_ADD2"... what will the base "IFC4X3" refer to? 4.3.2.0, 4.3.0.0 or such a base identifier won't just be allowed?

I believe that knowing that would allow to solve the bug in ifcopenshell.

• I think the ifc4x3 refers to 4.3.0.0. Would need to double check. Unfortunately some projects also used that in experiments before any formal release.

When the ISO version (probably 4.3.2.0) is out that will be the "official 4.3" that will be implemented and software will be certified against. So I don't expect too much 4X3 files in practice.

• Ok, clarified, thanks!

berlotti