Hey all, we're planning to migrate servers around Monday, so there will be a bit of downtime :) I can be contacted at dion@thinkmoult.com for anything urgent.

[OSArch] Organisation of meetups

Comments

• edited April 2021

@Jesusbill @JanF how about if we son't use Doodle when there is a good free software alternative from a project with a whole bunch of good tools: https://framadate.org/ from https://framasoft.org/en/association/ (for the curious, framadate is open source but not libre software)

Also @Jesusbill (and @gokermu ) unless it's too late I suggest a very different name for the next meetup. @fbpyr s suggestion is very accurate but means almost nothing to anyone who doesn't already know what those things are. We want as many people as possible to understand the topic just by reading the title. Maybe more like ...

Spatial void collections in IFC & Rhino>IFC>Revit

JanF
  • @duncan framadate seems good, I will use this for the polls.

For the title, I hear you that what you wrote gives a better idea of what the presentation is about, but since these are the names of the AddOns @fbpyr has developed, I think it is okay to use the title he suggested, which also gives another interesting hint, that it has to do with Blender and BlenderBIM.

If we think about it, the title that will be in the image is not that important. People will have to read the context nevertheless to understand what this is about. In the past we have always used titles relative to the projects (speckle, homemaker, ifc.js) which are not always self-explanatory.

So, I propose we move with the title "IFC_Void_Data & Rh2BB2Rvt - BlenderBIM AddOns in Production"

• @Jesusbill does this discussion still need to be pinned?

• @duncan not sure about that, I believe the rationale for doing that was that it is a discussion regarding organisation in OSArch, but I guess there are other threads within this scope that are not pinned. If you think it is better to unpin it, please go ahead

• @duncan said:
    @Jesusbill @JanF how about if we son't use Doodle when there is a good free software alternative from a project with a whole bunch of good tools: https://framadate.org/ from https://framasoft.org/en/association/ (for the curious, framadate is open source but not libre software)

Also @Jesusbill (and @gokermu ) unless it's too late I suggest a very different name for the next meetup. @fbpyr s suggestion is very accurate but means almost nothing to anyone who doesn't already know what those things are. We want as many people as possible to understand the topic just by reading the title. Maybe more like ...

Spatial void collections in IFC & Rhino>IFC>Revit

i think thumbnail is pretty important when it comes to getting attention of people. simpler title would be better for design purposes and for the audience as well. let me know the final title and i can create the thumbnail :) is it Spatial void collections in IFC & Rhino>IFC>Revit or IFC_Void_Data & Rh2BB2Rvt - BlenderBIM AddOns in Production?

• edited April 2021

@Jesusbill my rationalle has been that the pinned theads are what we're encouraging all new visitors to read - or threads that are very important but for a short time (the logo). This thread is not so much for that. I've unpinned it.

@gokermu until we decide something else I support @Jesusbill making decisions on meetups. We can keep discussing but he's made a decisions for this case "IFC_Void_Data & Rh2BB2Rvt - BlenderBIM AddOns in Production"

But I strongly agree with you from a marketing view and the saturation of information on social media - we can't assume anyone reads more than about the first three words or so of anything. If they don't catch peoples attention then we've lost them. People we already follow us and know something about these topis will always read the whole text - but we want to draw in new people. We should keep having this discussion on how to bring in new people in all that we do.

Jesusbill
  • Thank you guys for chipping in and @duncan for the guidance. I had in mind the use of the image in the announcement of the event when saying that people will have to read the context. But I agree that as a thumbnail of the video, used also in YouTube for example, it is good to have a title that can be understood by as many people as possible.
    Thus, I have changed my mind and I'd like to go with "Spatial void collections in IFC & Rhino>IFC>Revit"

• My suggestion sounds like "IFC & Rhino" so I think turning the topics around reads better.
    "Rhino>IFC>Revit & Spatial void collections in IFC"
    okay @Jesusbill ?

• Mmm now sounds like a single app. Very confused about this. "BlenderBIM AddOns in Production" looked good in the title

duncan
  • @Jesusbill I agree, it quickly sounds/looks like one thing.
    Leaving out the addon names seems better for readability.
    "BlenderBIM AddOns in Production" sounds fine to me.
    If we wanted to make it real short we could do something like:
    "BlenderBIM: voids & bridges"
    Although that might be misleading, folks thinking it would be
    actual about bridges. (-;

duncan
  • "BlenderBIM AddOns in Production" is the final answer. It's short, simple, accurate and creates also a curiosity to read more details if interested.
    @gokermu that's the final answer that I believe in terms of size suits much better also the thumbnail.

fbpyrduncangokermu
  • wuhoo! final decision! nice discussion with some interesting thoughts thrown around (mostly in chat if anyone wants to swim through them - we had fun).

Jesusbill
  • "BlenderBIM Addons in Production" thumbnail is attached. Any idea is welcomed.

CadGiruduncanCyril
  • edited April 2021

Looks great to me. Two comments, let's make it "Add-ons" and #14
    Also the logo should be red? Not sure about it, others may have a stronger opinion

• edited April 2021

hey @Jesusbill
    where can i find the following icon?:

• @gokermu here but I meant the one with the red curve and not the one you show that is the red background with the transparent curve.

• i got it, but i thought it would be better to try the one with solid background. anyway, the changes you recommended has been applied.

brunopostleJesusbillfbpyrMoult
  • Thanks @gokermu feel free to provide any variation you may feel would be better

• edited April 2021

Lets not start making a white on dark variation of the logo ... I agree that this looks fine red on dark. @gokermu the icon @Jesusbill showed is our favicon, so that button was just a picture of his browser tab. It's such a luxury having someone who makes sure we have a good logo each month - good work @gokermu

gokermu
  • the icon @Jesusbill showed is our favicon, so that button was just a picture of his browser tab

@duncan I just pointed him to the page of all icons, @gokermu showed the favicon.
    I made sure he did not use that one in the first place because I had you in mind actually :) I know you would go nuts to see that "version" of the logo. But if he wants to experiment with a variation for evaluation purposes I think it's ok

gokermuduncan
  • I was invited by @Moult to present the current state and ongoing development of the Blender-OSM addon. I did't see the date for the June's meeting. I can't attend the meeting on June, 5. But I can on June, 12 or on any Saturday in July.

CyrilJesusbillMoultJanF
  • Hi @prochitecture, sounds great! I think we can book the slot for a meetup on the 12 of June, no problem to move the meeting by one week.
    I will contact you in the next couple of weeks, maybe we can have a short call to discuss the specifics. Thanks

• Glad to inform that @prochitecture will be presenting "Blender-OSM Add-on: the current state and ongoing development" in the next monthly meetup that will be held on the 12th of June. I will be making the announcements in these days.
    @gokermu can you prepare the image, please, if possible by the end of Tuesday?
    For the title in the image let's use "Blender-OSM Add-on" if the full title is too long. I remind you that this is meetup #15.

gokermupaulleeMoultLaurensJNCyrilAcebaswein
  • @Jesusbill said:
    @gokermu can you prepare the image, please, if possible by the end of Tuesday?
    For the title in the image let's use "Blender-OSM Add-on" if the full title is too long. I remind you that this is meetup #15.

Thumbnail is attached. I have used another image i found on blender-osm's github page. if you want me to change it with the image you shared, i can. I also used whole description you shared. any recommendation is welcomed!👊

tetovduncanJesusbill
  • @gokermu some strange white/red shadows around the logo&text. Maybe the thin peach colored vertical line distracts from the text readability.

• @gokermu looks great, thanks! This image looks nice, no problem to use this.

• @gokermu I agree with @duncan about the vertical line, looks a bit distracting. Not a deal breaker though

• @duncan said:
    @gokermu some strange white/red shadows around the logo&text. Maybe the thin peach colored vertical line distracts from the text readability.

Updated thumbnail is attached.

JesusbillduncanMoultJanF
  • looks great @gokermu

gokermu
  • Glad to announce that in the upcoming meetup that will be held on the 3rd of July we will host Lindsay Kay, the main developer of Xeokit, who will talk about this open-source web programming toolkit for AEC graphics. Announcements to follow next week.
    @gokermu the site is this: https://xeokit.io/index.html
    Do you want to work on your own for the thumbnail? I didn't ask one from the presented yet, as I saw that you do your own research on the topic :) Of course, if you think it is easier I can ask for an image, just let me know.
    For the title let's use: xeokit: 3D Web Programming Toolkit for AEC Graphics
    ** If the title is too long I would eliminate the word programming

duncan