Geometry nodes in Blender

This showcase by Erindale is very impressive. It really opens up the possibilities

MeetlatCyrilbasweinLaurensJNReD_CoDEjchkoch

Comments

• edited November 2020

Wow, that looks nice! Now we only need some type of input menu to change Nodes attributes without going into the full nodes view. Making it more user friendly. How this could work is best demonstrated by the way VisualARQ works. Each main building components has a menu and can be linked with the nodes (in this case made by Grasshopper). See:

bruno_perdigaoJanFtheoryshaw
  • @Meetlat said:
    Wow, that looks nice! Now we only need some type of input menu to change Nodes attributes without going into the full nodes view. Making it more user friendly. How this could work is best demonstrated by the way VisualARQ works. Each main building components has a menu and can be linked with the nodes (in this case made by Grasshopper).

This is quite interesting, I think this might be a good answer to @duncan 's topic on parametric library objects and @Andyrexic 's home builder objects creation. It's actually exactly what graphisoft is doing with param-o for gdl, if we simply built an expoter and translator for blender geometry nodes/sverchok like the one visualarq has, everyone could simply build parametric objects inside blender and then export them as home builder object, visualarq, revit family, gdl, etc.

Meetlat
  • As far as I know, the Geometry Node is not what you think
    @stephen_l is it Geometry Shader?

• edited November 2020

@ReD_CoDE With 2.92 geometry nodes get new function you can try it with the experimental branch here: https://builder.blender.org/download/branches/

See the workboard here: https://developer.blender.org/project/board/121/ A lot to do. But it's nice to have this in Blender by default.

@JanF Exactly! And by making this option within BlenderBIM we can automaticly give it the correct IFC information.

ReD_CoDE
  • Geometry nodes basically is a node based interface for modifiers, kind of simple grashopper embed right into blender.

ReD_CoDE
  • So, with Geometry Nodes this will be the end of Sorcar plugin https://aachman98.itch.io/sorcar

• I've planned to check it at weekend, however, I'm not sure yet what's it?
    Is it this? https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/shader_nodes/input/geometry.html
    @Meetlat could you please share some pictures or links from the nodes?

• https://builder.blender.org/download/branches/
    browse for geometry-nodes branches for your platform

• @stephen_l will do at weekend, however, I asked my question on their forum about the scene graph (database) and they said it will come in Blender 3 series
    It's a real geometry nodes, and a project after animation nodes, and particle nodes

• edited November 2020

@ReD_CoDE no that's 2.91. The nodes function we are talking about comes with the 2.92 alpha experimental branch. Found this video explaining how to make a table with it:

ReD_CoDEbruno_perdigaojamesjky
  • Wow, this is really great, it supports two new notions:
    1. Functional notion: Input, Processing, Output
    2. Ranges

• This has such great prospects for procedural workflows in Blender, many of which, it will take a while before we begin to wrap our heads around such possibilities.

• edited November 2020

When 2.92 is out, and the node functionality is mature, it would be nice to have some kind of "contest". For example, every two weeks we try to create a new type of (architectural) object. For example, we can start with a simple node based staircase. We then share the results with each other so that everyone can learn from it. After voting the "Winner" of the best nodes chooses the following theme.

Or we don't wait till 2.92 is out and already start this idea using Sverchok?

CGRLaurensJNtheoryshawDADA_universe
  • edited November 2020

Found these video's where Sverchok is used for making a staircase. Second video has a .blend file for inspiration:

CGRtlang
  • Has anyone already made something with Geometry nodes? Blender 2.93 Geometry nodes getting a lot of new functions.:

• More Geometry Nodes fun:

brunopostleMeetlatbaswein
  • Conceptual example with Geometry Nodes. You might have seen this posted elsewhere. Finally got around to making a video:

AceBedsonpaulleeDADA_universebruno_perdigaojchkoch
  • edited August 2021

@dimitar said:
    Conceptual example with Geometry Nodes. You might have seen this posted elsewhere. Finally got around to making a video:

The workflow is nice. But, I hate "Vertical Ghettos".

JanFdimitar
  • @bitacovir said:
    The workflow is nice. But, I hate "Vertical Ghettos".

Hehe, scale is up to the designer :) I guess I don't mind them. And not all of them are so! For example, if you put them in a nice place of town, they are upscale buildings, for example the Barbican in London