Blender / FBX : drape an google image

edited December 2020 in General

Hi
I have made a TIN surfaces with a image in DWG CAD. Unfortunately this can not be exported to FBX with incorporated image. I need a FBX file this way as import in Revizto. Blender probably can handle draped image and export it much better. So with a image definition in the file. Is that possible? I tried a few things but i was not able to use the shrink wrap modifier correct.

files are here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fp3KCp3oPqykUqSWmQBsWF-g39gywJGH?usp=sharing

Comments

• you may use a uv map project modifier using a plane with right image size, so uv coordinates are projected over your tin surface.
    In blender you may also use blenderGIS addon to do so.

• blenderGIS gives me an error. I run v.2.80. Had trouble getting this to work earlier too. Maybe there is a videp tutorial how this is done. uv mapping is not my daily routine. I am trying to achieve this is other software as wel. Navisworks seems to link the image (links get lost) and exporting form BricsCAD is not working either. I keep trying. Thanks :)

• @magicalcloud_75 the error is because you are on an old version of Blender. You need at least 2.83. The latest Blender is 2.91.

I looked at your files briefly and before attempting any UV projection or shrinkwrap, you need to have properly aligned satellite images and meshes. If you're still struggling with this, happy to organise a screenshare session to help.

• edited December 2020

The images i have comes the satellites of google. And the mesh also comes from Qgis geotiff, the ingredients are there (national dutch GIS department). All i need to do is 'bake' them into 1 melted fbx file for use in a VR enviroment. Blender is my last hope because commercial software seem to let me down. Let me just try to install the BlenderGIS addon and see. Thanks sofar. I'll come back later.

• If you have both image and mesh then you don't even need blenderGIS, but keep in mind that blender doesn't like georeferenced assets as it is a single precision software.
    You may map your image over a plane, locate both plane and mesh and then projet uv coordonates from plane over the mesh using modifiers.

• @magicalcloud_75 -
    I don't know if you modified the geotiff in CAD but you could bring it directly into blender with blenderGIS.

With these settings:

You would then export a georeferenced google ortho from QGIS-
    To do this zoom to the area that you are interested in and go to Project>Import/Export>Export map to Image.
    In the dialog make sure that you have Append georeference information checked.
    Back in blender import this image (tiff) the same way except use Basemap on Mesh.

I found that if I followed this video's instructions on embedding the textures I could export.
    a fbx with textures. youtube.com/watch?v=o8HHDQp_plw

JanFCGR
  • I can export tif an jpg in different formats.
    I have trouble attaching this to the imported FBX.
    This is not a mesh... (?)

• @magicalcloud_75 Did you import the grey landscape using BlenderGIS ? If not then you would need to use blenderGIS to import it and then import the google satellite image.

• Using the BlenderGIS tools it is easy to build the model. That is good! But it is kind of hard to make it a textured FBX. How is this done? The other question and challange i have is to have a more detailled model. The default blender service is 30mx30 m, that is not precise enough. Still a lot to learn and explore! Thanks.

Basic DTM with BlenderGIS

FBX export / import fails to encorporate textures Why?

• @magicalcloud_75 did you watch this video I sent in my previous post on embedding fbx textures? youtube.com/watch?v=o8HHDQp_plw

• I think i watched the video of making a DTM. I wonder, is the image INSIDE the FBX? I get different results with different FBX compatible software. One does display it, the other one not. So i'm thinking, it is in there. But then again, a Blender import of the same FBX does not show it. So i am still confused here.

• blenderGIS rely on satellite services for mesh import, most publicly available for free datasets are 30m based - eg usgs "gtopo".
    Astra service is 70m based grid, and the angle of capture is not so usual so may have more precise results, depending on area slope's orientation.
    In some country you may buy finer datasets (eg SwissTopo sell a 1m(!) laser based data grid)
    Keep in mind that at earth level a 30m grid is like 900 billions points !

• As for export / import, assuming your shader is quite simple, .obj with .mtl may work.

• Maybe, but i can only use fbx. Sketchup can import and export both with textures. Needs some testing.

• edited December 2020

BlenderGIS does magic things on a larger scale MAP. But i am struggling to get a detailled DTM. Imported the DTM is an FBX file from a CAD TIN. I think this is the only path here. Now i use the materials and image with a lowres image. Why does it display black? thx.

• In the first screenshot it looks like you're in rendered mode with no lights in the scene. Hence it is black. You can switch to material preview mode, or add some lights.

• Sorry but I don't really understand. The think i tried every material and view button but nothing shows.

• @magicalcloud_75 jump on the live chat and let's do a screenshare - it may be faster :)

• edited December 2020

The easiest workflow for me is to use CAD 2 FBX to make a surface. But I am not able to get a visual. I really have a interessting case/project and nice surface from XYZ Qgis. Would likt to combine this with actual heights for buildings form CityJSON through FME. It would be helpful of you could look at this and help me a liitle. I would appriciate it a lot.

I thought i might be the difference between binary and a ASCII FBX file but the last one files a error.
    I put the hi-res and low-res in the Gdrive folder mentioned above.

• The object could be there, just very far away from the origin. That could explain why you see it in the outliner but not in the viewport. You can use "Frame selected" to zoom to it, but ultimately you'll need to pull it to the origin if that's the reason.

I'm struggling to keep track of the workflow you're trying to achieve here - happy to help, but I think it's best if you joined us on the live chat so we could see what you were doing and where it fails.

• edited December 2020

Moult, just trying to get a image on a surface. A far-away surface! :)
    I managed to get it into a .ply file (other treat).
    Maybe better luck with .ply. Unfortunately no display either.
    But i upload it to the same folder. (200 mb Site hi-res.ply)
    So my problem really is about getting something in a view.
    Noob level :P

• edited December 2020

The frustrating about following any blender tutorials is the seemingly constant changing of interface.
    Where the hell is that Shading/UV's panel??

• edited December 2020

The challenge is this:

1. A detailled terrain. As FBX or some other way.
    2. Drape aerial image over it
    3. Import CityJSON of buildings (NL). OSM in BlenderGIS is no good. For me, this purpose.

note:
    The actual height of builings is crucial INFORMATION as this has a effect on the plan for filling in the area. A fixed or random value does not give the right visuals. This can only to confusion.

1. Import and maybe filter / clip Laserscandata for the surrounding object like trees and street furniture

I want to be able to make this with BlenderBIM/BlenderGIS/FreeCAD ;-)
    I can dot this DWG software. But it is kind of slow, Blender may have better core functionality to handle it probably
    Raw data can be found in shared folder. All public data