Welcome to the OSArch Community - Introduce yourself here.

Comments

• edited November 2020

@Moult @duncan @Jesusbill thanks folks! Sorry the late reply, only now I got a notification from the website.
    I am totally up to do a talk/session/workshop at any point. Please contact me directly at casas at arch.ethz.ch and we'll sort it out!

• Welcome @simon_c ! We're working hard on being able to provide those FOSS workflows! Please keep on testing, and let us know your thoughts, and that can help us prioritise things to work on / fix.

• edited November 2020

Hi, I'm Arthur, I work with electrical projects, especially industrial drawing. I'm starting to learn about BIM, because the company I work is interested. I already can see how it helps, however we do not have a library, and I do not understand how to build one yet. I found this by Dion Moult videos, that was an introduction to what I need.

• Hi @Arthur, welcome. What sort of library are you thinking of? Have you seen the symbol library of Dia? http://dia-installer.de/shapes/index.html
    Which of @Moult s many videos did you see?

• Welcome @Arthur ! Be sure to check out the https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory and see if you can try out any free software that may be relevant to you! For BIM, using the BlenderBIM Add-on or FreeCAD are both good first choices to get familiar!

• @duncan said:
    Hi @Arthur, welcome. What sort of library are you thinking of? Have you seen the symbol library of Dia? http://dia-installer.de/shapes/index.html
    Which of @Moult s many videos did you see?

In this first stage, I'm looking for the best way to represent the cable carrying components, such as trays and ducts, with a good representation of the curves, splits, and "boxes". We use custom fittings, and I would like to represent them too (I have Obj files).
    I watched many of them, but the BlenderBIM Add-on Technical WIP Demo was a great help, it has a good deal of information for beginners.
    I'll take a look in the link. Thanks.

@Moult said:
    Welcome @Arthur ! Be sure to check out the https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory and see if you can try out any free software that may be relevant to you! For BIM, using the BlenderBIM Add-on or FreeCAD are both good first choices to get familiar!

Hey, thanks. Great community you guys are building. I will check it. I've trying BlenderBIM and it's a good option for what I need.

• edited December 2020

Hola! My name is Antonio González Viegas, I am an architect and software developer from Spain. I am currently developing IFC.js, an open source 3d JavaScript library for parsing and viewing IFC files in any browser. Any ideas, suggestions or contributions are welcomed. 🙂 You can take a look here.

agonzalezestevebrunopostlestephen_lbasweinhtlcnnduncanbitacovirJesusbillpaulleekaiaurelienzh
  • @agviegas said:
    Hola! My name is Antonio González Viegas, I am an architect and software developer from Spain. I am currently developing IFC.js, an open source 3d JavaScript library for parsing and viewing IFC files in any browser. Any ideas, suggestions or contributions are welcomed. :) https://github.com/agviegas/IFC.js

Great that you're here, welcome. How did you find out about osarch?

• @duncan said:
    Great that you're here, welcome. How did you find out about osarch?

Thanks! I heard about this in BIMrras (spanish BIM podcast), and also saw it on twitter thanks to @Moult. I think this site is a great opportunity to promote open source by sharing knowledge, testing software and carrying out interesting projects.

duncan
  • @agviegas sounds like we need to find a good way of connecting our different language groups... not sure about the best way to do that.

• @agviegas a Spanish section has been setup which you can check out here: https://community.osarch.org/categories/español-spanish - you'll find some familiar names there no doubt!

agviegas
  • Hi, my name is Nigel Lamb, I work for the New Zealand Government social housing provider, Kāinga Ora ( Te Reo Maori meaning 'homes and communities'). I have worked in architecture for the last 25 years. I am interested in our organisation implementing BIM, we build a lot of houses and own many more. So, I am here to learn as much as I can so I can share that knowledge with those who make the decisions :)

GerwinMoultstephen_lduncanCyrilbasweincarlopavJesusbill
  • @Nigel said:
    Hi, my name is Nigel Lamb, I work for the New Zealand Government social housing provider, Kāinga Ora ( Te Reo Maori meaning 'homes and communities'). I have worked in architecture for the last 25 years. I am interested in our organisation implementing BIM, we build a lot of houses and own many more. So, I am here to learn as much as I can so I can share that knowledge with those who make the decisions :)

Hi @Nigel great that you're here. What sort of plans are there for digitizing Kainga Ora? What is the current state of digital records for FM? I'm sure we here would be very happy to help with advice on using open standards and software to increase the value of your housing data. I'm an expat myself now living in Denmark where we have some very successful forms of co-op housing we might want to talk about some time.

• Hi @Nigel that's awesome! I would love collaborate and see what your process is.

• G'day @Nigel ! Welcome to OSArch! You've probably already scoured the OSArch Wiki (wiki.osarch.org) with the great work being done by @duncan ! Let us know if there are any topics in particular and we can help share what we know :)

duncanJesusbill
  • Hi, my name is Dirk Olbrich. I work as an interior architect based in Düsseldorf, Germany. Primarily retail design projects with focus on implementation and planing coordination, some furniture dev within this scope as well. Mostly detailing provided concept designs into tender ready series for larger roll-outs.

My workflow experience comes from the classic Autocad / Sketchup combo, before transitioned to Revit (LT). After lurking a while on Blender, I finally set myself the goal to move to Blender as a permanent alternative to Sketchup, primarily for more realistic renderings. Though I am not very far into my learning as I am busy working projects with Revit.

I actually came to this forum via @RyanSchultz Linkedin post and partly with the open letter to Autodesk still in mind. I like the idea of collaboration on best practices, open workflows and that a community shared effort advances better tools in shorter time. And to give Autodesk a kick, as their product dev cycle is rather disappointing, to say the least.

I have a strong interest in programming as well and hope to be able to contribute to this project. Got experience in Golang, PHP, some HTML/CSS/JS and wet feet in Python (before switching to Go) as well as Swift.

duncanbasweincarlopavJesusbill
  • Welcome @doia to OSArch! Hopefully we can help in any questions you have in Blender, as well as if you'd like to get involved with dev :)

doia
  • Hello everyone
    My name is Akif and i am an architect from Turkey.i am cofounder in an architectural firm.My tools are Autocad,Revit for architectural drawings;3dmax for modeling;Luminion for rendering and animations.for couples of years i am dealing with computational design that i use grasshopper,ghpython,processing etc.
    i am here because i believe in open source and encourage your aims.let s do purposes together.

Cyrilbasweincarlopav
  • Welcome @MayArch ! You may find Sverchok as a good way to slowly introduce more open source visual programming into your workflow, and also Blender to replace 3DS Max. Lumion has many arch presets that make it a little more involved to replace with Cycles, Eevee, etc, but once you're familiar with Blender you'll find the add-ons you need to help make that switch a bit easier :)

Let us know if we can help in any way!

• @MayArch @doia and anyone else. Making ourselves visible as supporters of this projects is in itself helpful. Please find us on social media and consider adding yourselves to our list of supporters and advocates.

• Hi everybody!
    I'm Rapha from Switzerland. I follow blender near his beginning. I work in the architecture and construction. I'm so impress of what blender is becomming. I discover the blenderbim addon the past week and... HOW WOW its just incredible. I really want to masterise this addon and put the knoledge in my entire enterprise. I will seriously follow all about that and the other project too. Happy to be in the place, See ya!

basweinCyrilcarlopavstephen_lduncan
  • Welcome @Rapha22 ! Please feel free to post any bugs you discover!

Rapha22
  • Hello!! I'm Denis from Argentina. I'm steel an architecture student at UBA and I work in software development industry. I'm an enthusiastic of Open Source applications and I want to add these applications to my architecture workflow. Thanks for this community, I'm really enjoying it.

basweinMoultCyril
  • Hello @denissoto ! Next Thursday we meet the ArBIM participants through Jitsi. We are mainly Argentine, Chilean, Venezuelan and Spanish architects who are enthusiastic about open source. We invite you to our monthly meeting next Thursday at https://meet.jit.si/SextaReunionArbim

denissotoduncan
  • Hey @denissoto ! Welcome to OSArch! Please let us know if we can help in any way, and if you want to help start coding for any applications, we can hopefully get you started!

denissoto
  • Hello @joselaks and @Moult ! thank you both for the welcome!
    @Moult , I would be glad to participate with coding but I'm not pretty sure how to start. Maybe we can coordinate a meeting some day for that.
    @joselaks, I will join the meeting. I'm already following ArBIM, let's be in touch for thursday.

carlopav
  • @denissoto we are starting to collect resources for people willing to start coding on the wiki: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Start_coding - perhaps as you begin you can also help improve that page so that the next potential coder will get more good resources!

denissoto
  • Hello everyone🙋‍♂️!
    My name is Mucahit and I am an architect and self-learner programmer 👩‍💻from Turkey. I work at a BIM platform here in Turkey as an Academy Coordinator -in which i organize AEC related courses for professionals and students-. I am also doing part time and mostly small scale architectural projects. I use Revit in my projects (even though I hate it) I also use most of the visual programming tools (Grasshopper, Dynamo) I have met with Blender 1.5 years ago. I started doing some simple renderings and loved what it can accomplish. Eventhough there many giant vendors, Blender is a great competitor to them and its open source. I was wishing the same thing for the AEC industry and couple days ago, I discovered BlenderBIM and OSArch Community. and here I am. Happy to have found this community! Despite the fact that i am a beginner in python, I want to contribute to the projects any possible way. 🚀🚀

Jesusbillduncanbasweinstephen_l
  • @gokermu great to have you here Mucahit. I am sure you can contribute a lot with your experience as Academy Coordinator and this is the right place for you to dive into coding.

• Welcome @gokermu to OSArch! If you like Blender and are learning Python, the BlenderBIM Add-on is a great way thing to explore! I see you also use a lot of visual programming - I think the Sverchok community would really benefit from more testing and making it simpler for architects to generate shapes without being a whiz on nested lists of vertex indices! Let us know if we can help in any way possible!