FreeMVD - A place to hash out simple IFC roundtripping between FreeCAD and Revit. Hopefully, in the

Just wanted to share with the community.

As part of our exploration on rountripping a simplified subset of the IFC schema for OpeningDetail and OpeningDesign projects, @yorik and I started the following repo to save our various experiments over the years.

As you'll see it's very much a work in progress. Feel free to add, mod, and refine.

DADA_universe

Comments

• As the tagline indicates, "...Hopefully, in the future, the FreeMVD will become more platform agnostic--applying to other BIM platforms as well."

• I have to ask, why are you looking at roundtripping between two applications? I wondering if the focus could be on roundtripping with a common data environment / BIMserver type setup? Or is that what is implied by the name FreeMVD - is this a strict IFC based process without extensions?

• Freecad is a solid modeller and blender is a mesh based modeller. Getting IFC files to round trip between these very different systems without data loss is a good test of interoperability.

• edited May 13

FreeCAD is a solid modeler that as far as I know always ends up with B-Rep and Blender is a Polygonal mesh-based modeler
    @duncan asked an important question. You can't produce FreeMVD without having a whole IDM (which bSI works/worked on new IDM which is suitable for ISO19650 and will come 2021)
    This is why I opened up IfcXtreme project, indeed IfcXtreme is an IDM Toolkit/Configurator and even more (It's a distributed federated decentralized CDE)

P.S: They introduced IDM Toolkit/Configurator which was based on BPMN, so when they saw I talk about "domain-specific modeling tools," they stopped and I think they've started to pivot, maybe it comes based on UML or something newer)

• I wondering if the focus could be on roundtripping with a common data environment / BIMserver type setup?

I'm open to this, as well, but I like the idea of decentralized version tracking better.