AEC Conference on data driven and open source tech

edited September 2021 in General

Hello everyone here!

At Speckle, we're organizing a conference for engineers, designers, BIM managers, hackers, and anyone interested in modern solutions, open-source, and data-driven processes for the AEC industry.
Leading startups, experts, and vendors in the space will provide insights on how to bring existing workflows to the 21st century and run hands-on workshops.

Hence my post here, would anyone want to present and introduce the OSArch community?
Alternatively, we'd be also happy to host presentations on specific software / projects / workflows etc.
The dates are 19-21 October, the event will be online and 100% free.
Just ping me and we can discuss additional details!

(Very WIP banner)

Tagged:
AcejchkochJesusbillMoultinfeeeeetopologicJanFgokermu

Comments

• Looks great, we should do everything we can to support it! I would suggest we present OSArch as an organization and any project as a project in their own right. I hope we can keep promoting OSArch as a place people can gather while we have different relationships with different projects.

@teocomi can we chat about details here? Maybe I or someone could present the OSArch community and a few others can make short introductions to their projects. How does that sound? Maybe something like a 6 projects in 60 minutes with the first 10 minutes as an intro to OSArch and our aims? We could arrange a quick chat to hash out some clearer details.

MoultJesusbillteocomitopologic
  • I think that's a great idea! Ideally, we can keep the total presentation time to ~45, and the rest for questions:

• 10min intro OSArch
    • 6x5min projects
    • remaining time for questions
      If you think it's too tight we can always break it down into two sessions. Happy to chat about it!
      Cc @dimitrie
    topologic
  • A couple of obvious projects to talk about could be BlenderBIM addon( @Moult ) , Topologic ( @topologic ), Homemaker ( @brunopostle ) , FreeCAD BIM Workbench ( @bitacovir ) - anyone got other suggestions? I know we're talking about veyr short presentations, but a pre-recorded 5 minute informal presentation is hopefully achievable.

bitacovirtopologicteocomidimitrie
  • Hello everyone, quick update: we've announced the event and are looking to finalize the various sessions by the end of next week.
    Would love to showcase OSArch and some cool OS projects!

gokermuCadGiru
  • Awesome! So sorry for not replying earlier, been swamped. If I understand right, @duncan can present an introduction to OSArch? Looking forward to it, and happy to give a short 5 minutes on the BlenderBIM Add-on if need be. Let me know the details, when, format or live, etc.

• @teocomi Hi, so we finally discussed what we want to present, but now I see the event is already fixed, are we too late? The idea was there would be a short live introduction to OSArch (who we are and so on) followed by 4-5 five minutes pre-recorded presentations about our member's projects. (if @Moult finds time he does his live) @Duncan is apparently busy those days, so he asked me to do the introduction.
    Do you think we could still fit in somewhere or is the schedule full now?

• Yes, we can still fit you guys in!
    Let's continue the convo by email & thanks for your interest :)

JanF
  • Yeah, sorry guys. Work is crazy and there are some employment contract issues here causing extra headaches. Hope I can check in later and offer my help @JanF

• No worries, hope that gets resolved soon, sounds like a big PITA :/

• Great work @JanF making sure we had a presence at the conference and @Moult , @topologic , @brunopostle , @bitacovir & @Yousheng for adding your projects. I haven't found the recordings yet but look forward to seeing them when they turn up. @JanF do we have our own version of the session for our video archive?

Thanks @teocomi for including us in what I've heard was a great event, I look forward to sifting through many hours of sessions.

topologic
  • You can find the recordings privately on our YouTube, the links are on the wiki:
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Connect!2021
    I didn't make my own recording, but Matteo just wrote me he's making an official one, he just needs the youtube parts.

AceGorgiousMoult
  • @JanF said:
    You can find the recordings privately on our YouTube, the links are on the wiki:
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Connect!2021
    I didn't make my own recording, but Matteo just wrote me he's making an official one, he just needs the youtube parts.

These are excellent snapshot /elevator pitches for each! Going to show these to a million people

JanFGorgiousMoult
  • Also a heads up @teocomi anytime in the future you guys are hosting an event to do with open source in AEC, please let us know and we can help spread the word via the OSArch events calendar which will also be sent through to the OSArch mailing list subscribers. Also, any cool FOSS news (new tutorial series, new release, building project delivered with free software, etc) we'd love to also spread the news about the successes and publish an article on OSArch.org - we just need approximately 300 words and an image :)

teocomi