Create IFC Property Set Template dynamically from a JSON File

Hey all - so I thought i might share a small script I wrote to help me in generating IFC Property Set Templates that I can later use in BlenderBIM to enrich foreign IFC Models. This is almost always a necessary step for general contractors, since they often(always! ;) ) receive models that have little or non-standard information defined. The end goal is to create a BIM-Based estimate in RIB-iTWO, where we have well-defined content that is based on internal information standards. So the workflow looks like this:
1. Read a company-defined JSON file that describes the Object->Parameter requirements for all types of BIM Objects
2. Parse through the JSON file and dynamically create an ifc property set template that blenderbim can then read
3. Use BlenderBIM to enrich the ifc file.
The code can be found here Blender-IFC-Property-Set-Template

!!Disclaimer!! - I am new to the programming world as such the code will definitely have noob mistakes. Please don't laugh at me or shame me :) . Any tips on improving the code or ideas to make it better would be much appreciated. The next step is to convert this into a plugin with UI elements and to start understanding ifcopenshell in order to avoid making dodgy ifc files!

The end product looks something like this:

brunopostleGorgiousCoenMoultkaiaurelienzhDarth_BlenderduncanJesusbill

Comments

• @Borna_Molnar I think you might find this interesting ;)

• Fantastic work! The concept of property set templates are not well advertised in the OpenBIM world and we definitely need more content out there about this. Will reshare your post on social media ;)

vpajicCoen
  • Cool! I find it great that you guys over at the Porr also are into BlenderBIM. I'm on the planner's side and I find the possibilities of IFC in Blender really great. Have you tested these files with the geometry gym plugin for Revit that imports property definitions as parameters? Might be a great use case to provide these parameters for others in your projects.

vpajic
  • @tobenz said:
    Cool! I find it great that you guys over at the Porr also are into BlenderBIM. I'm on the planner's side and I find the possibilities of IFC in Blender really great. Have you tested these files with the geometry gym plugin for Revit that imports property definitions as parameters? Might be a great use case to provide these parameters for others in your projects.

No not yet - I´m currently a bit of a lone wolf with respect to Blender-Use at my company but I´m trying my best to show my colleagues the possibilities. The usecase you mentioned is particularly interesting - I´ll give it a test at some point and report the results back here ;)

tobenzCoen
  • @vpajic said:
    1. Read a company-defined JSON file that describes the Object->Parameter requirements for all types of BIM Objects

Just interested what kind of company this is, I used to work at a construction company and so long information could fit in an Excel format. Everyone was happy.

• @Coen said:

@vpajic said:

Just interested what kind of company this is, I used to work at a construction company and so long information could fit in an Excel format. Everyone was happy.

Times are a changin', my friend ;)

Moult
  • Hej @vpajic , any chance you can share your project again?

• @tobenz said:
    Hej @vpajic , any chance you can share your project again?

yeah mate, i just reorganized my repository - the example above can be found here:
    https://github.com/vulevukusej/BlenderBIM/tree/main/standalone scripts for ifcopenshell/generate IFC PSET from JSON

• @vpajic I see, thank you for sharing again!

• @vpajic do you have a template json file for this? can you add it to the repo maybe?

• @tobenz said:
    @vpajic do you have a template json file for this? can you add it to the repo maybe?

the json file I use is highly specific to the company I work for. The script can easily be adapted to suit whatever file you have incoming though. I also have versions of this file that generate ifc templates from an xml file. As long as you have an organised file, it should be easy. If you want, I can share the shell of the file I use, or alternatively, we can have a look together if you want? I'm generally available during european waking hours ;)