If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Interesting blog post on open source: "Open Source" is Broken

There was recently a post on open source titled "Open Source is Broken"
It was mentioned everywhere and it generated very lively and interesting discussions. For example here and here

Most of the cited examples refer to key libraries used as dependencies, but I think it is also interesting for the type of tools promoted on this website (that I support wholeheartedly BTW :-)) as organisations can base entire workflows, projects and deliveries on them.

Tagged:

Comments

• I think a very important and often overlooked aspect is that companies need commercial support. They need a clear agreement with a key player that they can get priority help when they need it. Any project which cannot offer this is going to have a hard time breaking through. I would be very cautious recommending and of our projects for critical workflow internally without extensive knowledge of the tool and some kind of special relationship with the development team where I know my problems would be prioritized. I'm sure companies would be willing to pay for this support - or at least quickly join such a program when they hit problems.
    I decided to push Becas post on twitter as I think it contains some very valid points about how societies economic structure makes FOSS hard and thankless.

ruggieroguidaAcebrunopostlevpajicCadGiru