If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

[BlenderBIM] Roundtable, May 5th 17:00 UTC

edited June 2022 in General

Like BlenderBIM? Does it help you in your work? Do you appreciate all the work that's being put into to?

Here's your chance to give something back to the project.

What needs to happen for this to work best:

• We need and advertising graphic, @gokermu has made our great graphic - thanks!
  • @theoryshaw says he's happy to make the recordings (all videos are archived by @Jesusbill so we have them in one place )
  • -> We need someone to promote this event on Twitter/Mastodon/LinkedIn - also again afterwards to promote the video once it's on Youtube
  • -> We need someone to add a 'front page' graphic to the video from @theoryshaw and upload it to Youtube

We have people to help explain all these steps so don't worry if it's not something you've tried before. If we together can do all these things we have a great way of sharing this knowledge about BlenderBIM and showing all the contributors how much we appreciate what they're doing.

gokermuArEhsanCCadGiru

Comments

• Help us promote the roundtable by supporting us on social media

This event on LinkedIn
    This event on Twitter
    This event on Fosstodon/Mastodon

Give a thumbs up when you've shared our social media posts with your friends!

jchkochpaulleeAcebitacovirArEhsanCtlang
  • Hi, good chat everyone.. thank you!
    Here's the videos, if someone wants to combine them and push them to the OSarch youtube channel.
    video 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tegfqgx5g0zuolj/osarch on 2022-05-05 18-03.mp4?dl=0
    video 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkcumsthnitnmwh/osarch on 2022-05-05 18-44.mp4?dl=0

brunopostleduncantlangAcepaullee
  • @condur any chance you could put the video on our YouTube channel? Just with the graphic @gokermu made as the thumbnail, doesn't need to be more than that.
    Any other volunteers? @Jesusbill @gokermu @Moult @JanF @condur (bimvoice) and I have access to the googleverse now, but others are very welcome to help.
    (you can always see who has access to which accounts on the outreach page of the wiki )

• @theoryshaw said:
    Here's the videos, if someone wants to combine them and push them to the OSarch youtube channel.

Thanks for the video !

Really good for people like me to have a look how to start and what is the available workflow here, not having much time to search documentation to learn BlenderBIM at the moment :D

It seems good if users can report what are currently missing in a workflow so the developers may iron out those part as priority.

In fact @dimitar had discussed briefly some problems about FreeCAD, better have slight elaboration to illustrate the desirable procedures (and report in FC forum) so the developers can work on them :D Interesting, as dimitar indicates, it came to a point users may want to do some simple Macros, even write some simple codes, either to improve efficiency or add some missing features, especially Python which is available in FC is a language that is quite ease to understand and can do some basic things quickly. It made me really spend more time in doing some (simple and basic) codes there than modelling : LOL. Automatic placement of objects is one thing, creation of 'space' is another ... maybe automate the 2D/3D furniture issues?

Also really wonder how to deal with furniture and if a furniture library is available.

• @duncan said:
    @condur any chance you could put the video on our YouTube channel? Just with the graphic @gokermu made as the thumbnail, doesn't need to be more than that.

I should have some time tomorrow if you don't @condur

duncan
  • Thank you for posting that - it was a very informative discussion. Nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling with what program to use (Revit vs Blender vs FreeCAD - not forgetting Unreal!). It does seem like Revit is aiming to improve interoperability with IFC - see attached. This should help some of us to move away from Revit if our models are compatible.

paullee
  • edited May 2022

at the risk of being OT... in the roundtable discussion there was some discussion about inputting feet and inches. Maybe this helps;

I'm from a metric country but I saw this in a YouTube video

paulleeGorgiousbruno_perdigao
  • or this...

• Hi,
    Just caught the round table meet-up, good discussion and some great explanations on current workflows. I've have been testing the latest documentation functionality. I've successfully managed to create some basic drawings and am happy to update the Wiki with current process but there are a few issues on the version I'm using which don't match the recording. Specifically the ability to display annotations in the viewport (checkbox) doesn't seem to have any change in what is displayed, which is only empties or lines. Once the vector is generated the correct tags, dimensions, text etc. are displayed but this is very awkward to layout annotations without viewport feedback. Is this a bug or current limitation?

I've also had quite a few crashes changing the ortho scale and camera location, this could well be a WIP feature but good to know before creating any documentation.