IFC Space is not generated from a recived IFC file.

AS agreed with Massimo Fabbro, i will forward now an inquiry i had over mail into the forum. Reasoning is it has public intrest and would benefit the users of the forum to also receive his answer.

The topic is how to make IFC Spcaes from a received IFC file made from ex. Revit. I had an example room as seen in the figure bellowed which would not generate the Space.

Massimo Fabbro can now fill in his answer here.

MassimoArv

Comments

• edited June 2023

@Ole_Marius_Svendsen hi, thanks for the report...so the problem here is the little gap between two walls created by the columns.
    Basically, as the operator "create spaces from walls" considers only the walls, columns aren't considered so, for the operator, it's like walls weren't closed and so it doesn't create the space.
    On the other hand, the other operator "create space from cursor" has more tolerance, so it does create the space in this case, but, if the column was bigger, the gap would be too much big and so it wouldn't create the space.
    I'm thinking about considering also the IfcColumns into the space creations, i'll write here if i have updates.

Ole_Marius_SvendsenGorgiousArv
  • Thank you again for taking time for answering, i greatly appreciate it. I had one thought i would like to ask, if it is not a easy fix to code this then i apologize as my expertise is not within your field.

Would it be possible to have a normal vector from the interior face (if walls could be assigned interior/exterior properties to its respective faces) and have a colliding function to determine that indeed the interior face normal vector detected a interior face. As an example, same room as above, you then need to only click on the exterior wall (which has the property of interior face detection on the interior face) and one of the two shorter interior walls. If both of these two walls it automatically detects the enveloped space. If this conceptual idea would work, then any inaccuracy from walls not aligning face to face and columns as in this example is neglectable . However, would this conseptual idea work for any geometrical shape for a room, or just a box? That is one part i can't seem to figure out.

• @Ole_Marius_Svendsen hey, if you want to try, with this commit, "generate spaces from walls" counts also the IfcColumn objects placed on the contour in order to generate the spaces...

Ole_Marius_Svendsen
  • edited June 2023

@Massimo said:
    @Ole_Marius_Svendsen hey, if you want to try, with this commit, "generate spaces from walls" counts also the IfcColumn objects placed on the contour in order to generate the spaces...

@Massimo I am using the BBim version 0.0. 230626 and I don't seem to find the tool for "generate spaces from walls". I selected 4 enclosed walls but when I go to the "BlenderBIM" located on the N-panel I don't seem to find it. Has the tool been moved from there?

• @Owura_qu yeah, the tool has been moved under the "space tool", the transparent green cube under the bim tool, on the left in viewport panel.
    You select space tool and after that in npanel -> tool there are the buttons

• edited June 2023

@Massimo said:
    @Owura_qu yeah, the tool has been moved under the "space tool", the transparent green cube under the bim tool, on the left in viewport panel.
    You select space tool and after that in npanel -> tool there are the buttons

@Massimo Oh my! Thank you:). But is possible to regenerate an existing space with the "spatial tool"?

theoryshaw
  • @Owura_qu oh, actually right now, it's not possible to regenerate a space with the space tool selected...you have to switch to bim tool and click on regenerate button (or shift+g) to do that. But this needs to be improved, so, next days, i'll create the regen button also into space tool...

Owura_quMax