What does the OsArch community think about BHoM vs IFC

Hi community,
I guess we all know about the shortcomings of IFCs and they have been discussed here at length.
I've been stumbling on the BHoM format by chance and am wondering about its role in the AEC industry generally and in the OS community specifically. Has this been a format that has seen wide adoption? Are there specific shortcomings and advantages when compared to IFC? Who currently uses BHoM?

Many thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello ! It would be nice to add a little bit of context to your post so we can start a discussion using the same terms. People often have very different views about the strengths and weaknesses of tools because we have wildly different workflows. What are the shortcomings of IFCs in your opinion ? Could you explain what BHoM is and how it is different from ifc ? The few results that came out of a search engine yielded links to Autodesk products which at a glance don't align very well with the OsArch mentality.

• Thanks for your answer :)
    AFAIK BHoM has nothing to do with Autodesk, it's an open source project that tries to define a building model via easily extendable object models - see https://github.com/BHoM/BHoM

I don't really want to get into the shortcoming of IFCs as they've already been discussed plentily and would want to focus on what BHoM offers/doesn't offer in comparison here :)