[IFC] Is it possible to reference an IFC entity without geometry to two IFC entities with geometry..

Is it possible to reference an IFC entity without geometry to two IFC entities with geometry, even though all three IFC entities are in the same IfcSite?

For example, I have two IfcBeam in IfcSite but also an IfcFastener WELD that connects both IfcBeam.
IfcProject -> IfcSite -> 2x IfcBeam and IfcFastener WELD

IfcBeam has a geometry, and therefore when I press IfcBeam in an IfcViwer, I get to the right element.

IfcFastener WELD, on the other hand, does not have its own geometry, but when I go to IfcViewer IfcFastener WELD, I want to get to the two IfcBeam that connects IfcFastener WELD.

Is there therefore in IFC an IfcRel... something to achieve this

Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2023

Sounds like IfcRelConnectsWithRealizingElements where beams are related/relating elements and IfcFastener is in RealizingElements.
    Not sure how it works in IfcViewer but basically from IfcFastener.IsConnectionRealization you can find the IfcRelConnectsWithRealizingElements and then you can find the connected elements.

Martin156131
  • Indeed that is the correct relationship I believe. Here is an example using mechanical fasteners:

Martin156131CadGiruVDobranov