Survey for educators by FreeCAD Project Association

Hi,
The FreeCAD Project Association (non-profit behind FreeCAD) is looking into building a network of educators who use free and open-source tools in their curriculum (could be in academia or even YT channels and Udemy courses). They are also interested in insights from people who already tried doing just that and failed for some reason. So there's a short survey: https://forms.gle/zXZFP5yf2ZwrnPbN7.

That goes with a recent blog post by Ondsel about Autodesk, education licensing, and vendor lock-in.

Tagged:
bitacovircarlopavpaulleeknotsruen

Comments

• edited October 2023

It's a noble initiative, but let's bear in mind that Automess's goal is to make software for the masses. AutoSad is popular, because it's easy to do easy things (and only easy things). I'd love to see FreeCAD and other open-source tools to become mainstream, but more likely (taking lesson from the Linux world) it's target audience will be "super-users" - those who can actually see its value. Sorry, if this has been suggested somewhere already, I've only skimmed through Ondsel's article.

paullee
  • @knotsruen said:
    It's a noble initiative, but let's bear in mind that Automess's goal is to make software for the masses. AutoSad is popular, because it's easy to do easy things (and only easy things). I'd love to see FreeCAD and other open-source tools to become mainstream, but more likely (taking lesson from the Linux world) it's target audience will be "super-users" - those who can actually see its value. Sorry, if this has been suggested somewhere already, I've only skimmed through Ondsel's article.

It is ok. ¨to make software for the masses¨ never has been the FreeCAD's goal anyway.

knotsruenpaullee
  • Here are a list of academic institutions which use IfcOpenShell / BlenderBIM Add-on in their courses: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=IfcOpenShell#Academia

I personally teach the Parametric Design with Visual Programming in BIM by the Online Zigurat Global Institute for Technology.

paulleebitacovirknotsruen