2D representation of custom door/window type not saving

edited February 21 in General

Hi,
I tried to make my own doortype, following IfcArchitect's window tutorial, which works. When I try to change the 2D representation it doesn't work however. I can't join them with ctrl+J like he does, only if I RMB and then click join. But they are joined, so I think that doesn't matter. But when I load the normal model representation and then the 2D representation only the original trace outline is shown. My 2D rep is nowhere to be seen.

(model with my wanted 2D rep)
(before joining)
(after joining)
(after switching rep to model and back)

The file is of the door I'm trying to make, but as you can see a normal cube gives the same problem.
Blender 3.6.8 with BBIM 240220

Does anybody know a solution? Thanks!

Comments

• Would think finding a way to eliminate this step would be good.
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/4349

• @theoryshaw Amazing, ty! It works now if I click on manually save again after changing the 2D rep to only display the 2D I want (see image).
    The weird thing is that my ctrl+J doesn't work as described in the Github issue, and ifc join doesn't show up either. Might be because I'm using the latest bbim versions.

Also, is there a simpler way to reload a type? Such as unlinking the library and types and relinking it? Because right now I needed to duplicate the doortype and the 2D rep, unlink ifc class, relink, apply the 2D rep again and save it under another name.

Thanks!

• When you type in any bim. commands, does anything show up?

• thanks @theoryshaw very useful tip

Try this, after you join it, use 'Manually Save Representation'.

procedure from the video (for those like me who find difficult to understand the process..)

1. this a door (an IfcDoorType, turn it on in the Outliner)

1. and this is its PLAN_VIEW Annotation2D

1. I want to add handles to it (they are separate meshes)

1. Select them first and select the door last holding the shift key

1. now select the Join from the drop down menu activated by pressing the right button of the mouse

1. and finally click on Manually Save Representation

1. now the new installed door has its handles when in 2D representation

hope it helps, thanks again @theoryshaw !

jes_rMassimo
  • edited February 23

You need to enable "Developer Extras" in the preferences to be able to see the shortcuts. The reason is because only operators that have been added to a UI element (panel, menu, header) appear in the search queries by default. I think it's dumb but the Blender devs decided so a few versions ago. So either you enable the setting in the preferences or we add the operator to a hidden menu to force it to appear to non-dev users.

Nigeljes_r