Discussion on Freecad / Blender / SketchUp Workflows

This discussion was created from comments split from: Making BlenderBIM & Revit friends.
paullee

Comments

• @duncan said:
    I do look forward to forcing FreeCAD to follow my will. What's the current best solution to building and managing asset libraries created in different software? @Andyrexic that's your domain right?

@JQL said:
    That's the best description of where I'm at with FreeCAD. I love the potential, love the sketches based approach, but struggle to make it do what I expect it to.

It's always the other way around, I should force myself to think how it expects me to and I don't think like that.

I have not had time to try BlenderBIM at the moment and not Revit indeed. Just curious what would be the expectation (or 'desirable workflow') for an architect or building profession, maybe an example, here in a new thread or FreeCAD forum :D

@JQL said:
    I do understand that and agree with it. Having roundtripping between FreeCAD and Blender would be truly benefitial for both environments.

And do you think a Sketch from FreeCAD is something that could be used in Blender in this process? I would find it very interesting to have a FreeCAD sketch used as base for some of blender's modifiers.

Any example of your thoughts?

@theoryshaw said:
    I've mentioned this before, but I think in general, this is how standards development should work-- that is, standards that spring from actual use, not an 'a prior' approach. That is, just propose something, and try to get others to adopt it as well. I actually think that is the core hallmark of the open source AEC software ecosystem...

+1

• JQLJQL
    edited April 2021

@paullee said:

@JQL said:
    I do understand that and agree with it. Having roundtripping between FreeCAD and Blender would be truly benefitial for both environments.

And do you think a Sketch from FreeCAD is something that could be used in Blender in this process? I would find it very interesting to have a FreeCAD sketch used as base for some of blender's modifiers.

Any example of your thoughts?

I haven't explored much but I'm imagining Generating and Deform modifiers.

Even if I find Blender modeling less fluent than Sketchup, I have tested modeling in it and it's more intuitive than FreeCAD.

It's more of a direct modeler with the added benefit of modifiers and, eventually, Sverchok. There is still much lacking from it, like the streamlined ability of generating 2D drawings for PDF and CAD, which is putting me off but I could see myself using it as a direct modeller with some parametric abilities in the future.

If I knew, right now, that I could generate a full set of permit documents and later some nice set of construction documents with Blender. If I knew I could seamlessly export them to DWG, I would dive deep into it. As I don't I'll steer away from it. I don't need BIM. Only docs.

FreeCAD, on the other hand is fully parametric by nature and also has direct modeling techniques.

For Architecture I can make a full parametric mass study or floor plan with walls, but then I bang my head against it's direct modeling tools.

Insertion or drawing on faces is cumbersome for me. The idea behind having to setup the plan I want to work or insert models is not working fluid. That work plane makes me nervous. In sketchup I point and click and things happen. I don't have to think and prepare and then make. I think and I make. As FreeCAD requires preparing ahead, if I'm going to work on floor plans or façades, for instance I'm not thinking 3D but in 2D + 2D.

I can manage that at an initial stage if I'm sketching a floor plan. It's actually very good at this stage. I can also manage mass studies with it's parametric tools.

However, then the BIM workbench comes into play. A window is placed in a direct modeling way, but then it's fine tuned by parameters which I can hardly relate to as they are lost in the properties UI. These parameters are also rather restrictive and I couldn't find a way to create my own windows and door yet.

I was a bit put down when I found out that if I would change the parametric mass model, or walls in the floor plan layout, windows would loose their place. If the floor changed, windows/doors were floating around.

So I tried building parametric façade projections with Sketches and that held great potential. However then I wasn't able to achieve how to get from these parametric façades to windows and door objects creation. I didn't get there and suddenly I had lost a lot of time investigating something that held potential but that I couldn't dominate. I couldn't achieve what was needed.

I also couldn't find an easy way of building a terrain model from a topographical survey from either FreeCAD or Blender. I thought that it was pretty easy to model that in Sketchup and Import it to Blender or FreeCAD, but then I was using Sketchup to fill in the gaps of other modellers that would then bring me more difficulty than Sketchup for the rest of the work.

That also put me off so, in the end, I did give up.

The projects I was trying to develop had to be done on time and I had clients to respond to, so I had no time to keep investigating.

I keep checking in and out of FreeCAD and Blender, to see when I can get the next thing to explore in order to achieve a sound workflow, but I fail to grasp what I can really achieve with either of them. If I knew that my investigations were not running into a dead end, I would find the will to keep pursuing a goal. At the moment, I can't know for sure.

paulleeJanF
  • Inspiring account of available opensource CAD application :)

@JQL said:
    I haven't explored much but I'm imagining Generating and Deform modifiers.

Hmm, not familiar with Modifiers, hope have a chance to have a better look later :)

For Architecture I can make a full parametric mass study or floor plan with walls, but then I bang my head against it's direct modeling tools.

Indeed, there are lots to improve, had spent lots of time investigating e.g. 2D drafting :D But have a look at say projects which brings up by bitacovir, e.g. aBeton, bitacovir his projects; and recently noted Open Source Ecology's marcin has a website sharing their models, likewise OpeningDetail.com's theoryshaw, I have yet to study their models.

However, then the BIM workbench comes into play. A window is placed in a direct modeling way, but then it's fine tuned by parameters which I can hardly relate to as they are lost in the properties UI. These parameters are also rather restrictive and I couldn't find a way to create my own windows and door yet.

There are workflows and example to do custom windows and doors... needs to dig it out... maybe at the moment the wiki for standard Arch_Window

I was a bit put down when I found out that if I would change the parametric mass model, or walls in the floor plan layout, windows would loose their place. If the floor changed, windows/doors were floating around.

That's way I am experimenting with an add-on :) Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement, balrobs helps to a lot to test :D

I also couldn't find an easy way of building a terrain model from a topographical survey from either FreeCAD or Blender. I thought that it was pretty easy to model that in Sketchup and Import it to Blender or FreeCAD, but then I was using Sketchup to fill in the gaps of other modellers that would then bring me more difficulty than Sketchup for the rest of the work.

Another issues I drop into, seems bitacovir, yorik are comfortable with that.

So, it seems in additional to original Yorik's Arch/BIM Tutorial, more documentation / tutorial to latest capabilities and creative use of available tools in FreeCAD is needed, hope someone can help :D

• Both blenderGIS and archipack provide delaunay triangulation tools for terrains.
    https://youtu.be/Hl-XsiD27kQ

JQLZeelrich
  • The thing for me is about design iteration. Architecture work is not about modelling a finished building. We don't have a design to start with, we work on design as we progress with our work.

Architectural design stages are not exclusive. I can't say that I finish a massing study and I can go on to floor planing and then elevations. It's all intertwined and details are increasing as well as volume organization, landscaping and structure and so on.

The best software is the one that doesn't oblige you into partitioning stages and yet allows you to detail what you wish for everything.

Go back and forth between stages and still move forward with design.

Your modeling of Villa Savoye showed me that with FreeCAD I could build an architectural model, but I'm seeking something that could improve my design iteration and I feel FreeCAD or Blender are more static than Sketchup, even with their tools, rendering, BIM compliance and parametrics.

In the end in SketchUp I can create the output I want with any LOD I need and within an iterative workflow that is easy enough. It has it's issues but it still is better for me, at the moment. I will keep my eyes on this and see when that changes.

paulleeduncan
  • @stephen_l said:
    Both blenderGIS and archipack provide delaunay triangulation tools for terrains.
    https://youtu.be/Hl-XsiD27kQ

That is much better than Sketchup's implementation. Much better!

• edited April 2021

The thing for me is about design iteration. Architecture work is not about modelling a finished building.

Can't agree more ! :D Exactly what in my mind since I start exploring FreeCAD, and later attempt to 'develop' some tools to help design revisioning (and preference using Sketch over Draft Line as Base of Wall / building layout for the former's built-in capabilities) .

(BTW, I always try to alter the dimension of layout e.g. Villa Savoye to see how far the workflow / tools are resilent / assisting design review :) )

And good to more people like Yorik who posses both Architectural and programming knowledge to develop the applications, and building professional to voice out best practice / worflow!

In the meantime, still trying to learn more from others models :D

Good luck!

EDIT -
    p.s. Sorry, realise I had started some discussions that was off-topic :oops Thanks for other's patience :D

• edited April 2021

@JQL said:
    Your modeling of Villa Savoye showed me that with FreeCAD I could build an architectural model, but I'm seeking something that could improve my design iteration and I feel FreeCAD or Blender are more static than Sketchup, even with their tools, rendering, BIM compliance and parametrics.

In the end in SketchUp I can create the output I want with any LOD I need and within an iterative workflow that is easy enough. It has it's issues but it still is better for me, at the moment. I will keep my eyes on this and see when that changes.

I'm joining the conversation late so apologies if I am repeating something.

@JQL not sure what type of projects you work on?

For me, it's about a question of habit. I don't use Blender or Freecad directly with Revit, but I iterate my design concepts mostly in Blender and then Rhino/GH, and eventually Revit. It's not a straightforward path, but it's not much different than using Sketchup, Revit imports meshes from Sketchup. I imagine in a similar way you may use Sketchup.
    The unique workflow of Blender for me and what I try to preach to the AEC world is that with non-destructive modifiers, it's very fast to get a concept down and being able to edit it later. Much faster than pure explicit modeling in Rhino or Sketchup and faster than setting up a script with Grasshopper.

Having said that, I've produced some complex geometry directly in Blender, rebuild it in Rhino with nurbs based on either boundary curves or series of curves to loft, and send it as ACIS into Revit. IF ACIS import fails, Rhino inside Revit seems more robust at making complex nurbs surfaces within Revit's kernel.

Here is my currently active project that's under construction. The elements highlighted in red is geometry built in Blender.

The really nice thing about this setup is that the model is completely non-destructive in Blender. As you can imagine, we iterated a lot with the client to get the shape and look right on these elements.

In Blender, this is set as a subdiv model with a control cage, mirrored, arrayed, and then on a curve representing the floorplate. So if I edit a single point, somewhere, you can imagine that everything gets adjusted.

What I haven't tried yet is sending info via BlenderBIM/IFC into Revit, but I suspect other than simple primitives, IFC models are represented by meshes in Revit, so not very useful. Also, Revit doesn't seem to fully support yet IFC4?

Diverging off-topic a little here, but frankly, I am more interested in Freecad as an alternative base to Revit with seamless I/O with Blender. Modelling is pretty much there, UI and documentation capabilities are slowly getting there.

BedsonpaulleeMeetlatkaiaurelienzhSigmaDimensions
  • JQLJQL
    edited April 2021

We should probably split this topic. I'm not working at that scale @dimitar the projects I work with are smaller. I also don't work with Revit or any other BIM solutions. For a project like yours, Sketchup would be very easy to use, both for the repetitive structure as well as for those elements. I could also send it to Trimble Connect and bridge it with a BIM workflow quite easily. Construction documentation with sketchup is also as easy though it requires plugins for BOM or other kind of reports. IFC2x3 export with Sketchup is perfectly possible too.

What I'm trying to say here, is that modeling a building or parts of it with FreeCAD or Blender is not faster or better for me yet, nor allows something that I can't achieve with my current tool, so that breaks design iteration:

• In theory modeling with FreeCAD should be better than in Sketchup because of FC Sketches and parametrics. However a lot of our modeling actions don't require that and work better with a direct modeling approach. I'd say 90%. Those are much easier in Sketchup. FreeCAD seems to have a good enough drafting environment with Techdraw, and this is appealing. Sketchup has Layout where we can get things done, but it's not great.
    • In theory, modeling with Blender should also be much better than in Sketchup, because of modifiers and the overall tools it has. However, accuracy is not easy to grasp and direct modeling, though it's much easier than in FreeCAD, it's not as nice for Architects as Sketchup. Blender has too much eyeballing and still isn't coupled with a robust inferencing system. Sketchup's is really strong for our architectural purposes. Blender also doesn't have a 2D drawing/drafting environment at all and even if Sketchup's is not the best, it's still there and as I said before, we can get things done.

So, overall, I could see myself working with Blender or FreeCAD in order to push things to Revit, but as I use Sketchup I don't feel the need for that. I also don't feel the need for Revit or anything similar (the most interesting I found so far is BricsCAD actually).

Design iteration, in my case, is happening in the same software where all the action is happening, from conceptual stages to construction documentation. The tools being used are always the same no matter the scale and detail you're working with and so Design is faster and streamlined. It isn't perfect and so I'm always exploring what is available, but everything I see is either worse or not good enough to justify a change.

I'm still very actively following this forum, so I aknowledge that the path to a better architectural workflow might be somewhere around here, but I'm still far from finding it.

Bedsonpaullee
  • edited April 2021

@dimitar said:
    Diverging off-topic a little here, but frankly, I am more interested in Freecad as an alternative base to Revit with seamless I/O with Blender. Modelling is pretty much there, UI and documentation capabilities are slowly getting there.

@JQL said:
    I'm still very actively following this forum, so I aknowledge that the path to a better architectural workflow might be somewhere around here, but I'm still far from finding it.

Probably I made part of the discussion off-topic :oops But finding a more complete workflow with opensource software is something worth discussion, maybe someone start another thread :)

Before that, recently noted again @marcin_ose and @theoryshaw have their Open Source Ecology and Open Detailing website which probably have established some more complete workflow with FreeCAD etc. shown there. I have yet to explore :D

(I think @yorik @bitacovir had their own workflow also)

• My objective is not the search for an exclusively opensource workflow, but for a better workflow than what's currently available. It just seems to me that the objectives here, in OSArch are more inline with that and they have the added plus of being opensource.

paulleeCGR
  • BTW, there had been a group of user to work on a house - Ad-hoc FreeCAD User Team on House_by_Studiolada

I think a project like this, either to be constructed or not, for peoples on different disciplines or workflow may help disseminating different availabe skillsets / workflow to achieve most aspects of a real project needs.

The project @marcin_ose is working on and looking to build a team may be a good chance.

CadGiru
  • edited April 2021

@paullee "I think a project like this, either to be constructed or not, for peoples on different disciplines or workflow may help disseminating different availabe skillsets / workflow to achieve most aspects of a real project needs."

Totally agree, a tutorial project like this would be great.
    Initial thoughts, would like to see a workflow including (probably missed many tasks here) ...

• different levels of detail (LOD)

• Does ifc have a definition of LOD, like for instance GML / CityGML?
    • Incorporate MMI (model Maturity Index)

• Federation of disciplines
    • ifc usage of
      • Spaces
      • Aggregates
      • Types
      • ifcMaterials
      • Material take off

Should we make a go of it?
    Where, FreeCADwiki or OsArchwiki?
    Both FreeCAD & BlenderBim?

paullee
  • edited April 2021

@CadGiru said:
    Totally agree, a tutorial project like this would be great.
    Initial thoughts, would like to see a workflow including (probably missed many tasks here) ...

• different levels of detail (LOD)

• Does ifc have a definition of LOD, like for instance GML / CityGML?
    • Incorporate MMI (model Maturity Index)

• ifc usage of
      • Spaces
      • Aggregates
      • Types
      • ifcMaterials
      • Material take off

Should we make a go of it?
    Where, FreeCADwiki or OsArchwiki?
    Both FreeCAD & BlenderBim?

Not much idea about the aspects / concepts you indicates above :oops So, it would be good to have some beginner's guideline on these :D

Personally, I am just learning tools in FreeCAD, had tried a few time testing rendering in Blender. And note there are some wiki in OSArchWiki. And recently https://learn.osarch.org/, haven't had time to read all these in fact.

Not sure what can be done... maybe masters like @yorik @bitacovir @Moult etc. volunteer start leading or mentoring a real / hypothetical / competition project or someone have time to consolidate available resources online into a master workflow ? Maybe starting something from available tutorials (e.g. @yorik's on Arch with Artigas, Barcelona Pavilion etc.) and add on other aspects what you suggest ? Something from competitions ? :D

JanF
  • @paullee making a small group here and taking a part in an interesting architectural competition is a great idea. Something similar was discussed in a different thread already.
    I wanted to do something similar, but I got stuck trying to figure out the best way to work together. Now that I know more about how Speckle works, I think it might be a viable solution. (For Blender only workflow that is. But in that case I'm not sure if we manage to get by with the current 2d capabilities of blenderbim, I haven't done any drawing since the rework release) The only other option I know of would be GitHub, we'd have to divide the project carefully into subparts, so that different people can work at the same time. (Freecad and librecad would be an option in that case and currently probably a safer bet for 2d)

paullee
  • Hi @JanF , the team for the FreeCAD model above is ad-hoc and just share the model file on the forum - not very good indeed. Setting up sometime for collaboration is already a challenge :D Github may works also.

Maybe see if more peoples are interewest and see what others think.

BTW, just see this one below :D -

RE-DRAW.03: Fallingwater / Experimental Architecture Representation

CadGiru