4D BIM - Questions regarding visualization in BlenderBIM

Hi,
I am trying to visualize tasks in BlenderBIM, and I am now able to create tasks and assign products to them from Python. I have a few questions regarding the BlenderBIM visualization that I hoped someone could help me out with:
1. When assigning subtasks to a single parent task, is it possible to see all products indirectly assigned the parent task? Ie. I want to click on the parent task, and see all products in all subtasks. I am not able to do this currently.
2. Same for the visualization: Would it be possible to eg. only visualize parent tasks? If the project is very large, and I don't care about the detailed order of several subtasks, but I still need to visualize the building order at a "higher level", represented by the parent task.
I basically want to visualize/select/view only parent tasks, not necessarily every single task. Is this possible?
Attached is a screenshot from BlenderBIM of what I mean by "parent task" and its "child tasks".

Comments

• If I may expand upon my question:
    I am trying to cascade the schedule throughout all tasks, using ifcopenshell.api.run("sequence.cascade_schedule",..), but it doesnt seem to be working. When I import the .ifc file into blender, all tasks still have the same duration and start. After clicking on the "clock" symbol in blenderBIM, and then immediately the "check"-mark for accept, all tasks updates as expected. I have defined all the tasks to same starttime, duration "P1D", and a "FINISH_START" relationship to the previous task. Maybe someone knows how I should use "sequence.cascade_schedule" in Python to get it to work?

• @BIMrookie92 said:
    1. When assigning subtasks to a single parent task, is it possible to see all products indirectly assigned the parent task? Ie. I want to click on the parent task, and see all products in all subtasks. I am not able to do this currently.

This feature doesn't exist (yet). It makes complete sense. File a bug please :)

1. Same for the visualization: Would it be possible to eg. only visualize parent tasks? If the project is very large, and I don't care about the detailed order of several subtasks, but I still need to visualize the building order at a "higher level", represented by the parent task.
      I basically want to visualize/select/view only parent tasks, not necessarily every single task. Is this possible?

Also doesn't exist yet, great idea! Please file a bug.

Maybe someone knows how I should use "sequence.cascade_schedule" in Python to get it to work?

Cascade schedule works by providing a starting task, and then the dates of that task is propagated to all of its successors. It looks as though none of your tasks have complete dates yet (i.e. you need both a start and finish date, and maybe also a duration, I forget) and that's why cascading doesn't occur, since the start task is incomplete.

When you press the clock button to edit the task time, it calls the sequence.edit_task_time API, which automatically resolves end dates and durations and also auto cascades, which is why it works there.

BIMrookie92
  • Thank you, I added a ScheduleFinish attribute to my task times (I had only specified start and duration as I thought it didnt matter since I was going to cascade throughout anyway), and now it works as expected:)
    May I ask how/where to file a "bug" (feature request)?:)

• edited September 2022

Issues here :) https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues

Cascades work through the relationships you've defined. If you've defined a FS (finish to start) relationship, but your very first task has no finish, it cannot determine the start of the next task. So just make sure your first task has a finish date and that is probably sufficient.