If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Import Problem with a specific IFC file

I am not sure if I am at the right place for this here in Blender BIM.

BTW
I am on Apple ARM, Mac M1 Mini 16 GB, macOS Ventura 13.2 public Beta

But I have an IFC File that will not load in Speckle - and Blender BIM.
I think both are using the same Open IFC interpreter.
It took me some time to realize, as the IFC file always opened without any
issues in proprietary Apps like Vectorworks (my initial exporter source),
Bricscad or OpenIFCViewer.
(Thought about using pre releases of BlenderBIOM and Speckle or latest
macOS public betas and such)
But if I get the error message correct, the IFC may not be 100% following
IFC standards or have issues. Also other IFC files from (Revit) clients
import fine in Blender BIM.

So in case someone is interested, I will attach Blender's error message :
(And could provide the IFC)

"
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/micha/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.5/scripts/addons/blenderbim/bim/module/project/operator.py", line 533, in execute
bpy.ops.bim.load_project_elements()
File "/Applications/Blender350.app/Contents/Resources/3.5/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 113, in call
ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)

RuntimeError: Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/micha/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.5/scripts/addons/blenderbim/bim/module/project/operator.py", line 590, in execute
ifc_importer.execute()
File "/Users/micha/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.5/scripts/addons/blenderbim/bim/import_ifc.py", line 248, in execute
self.place_objects_in_collections()
File "/Users/micha/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.5/scripts/addons/blenderbim/bim/import_ifc.py", line 1642, in place_objects_in_collections
self.place_object_in_collection(self.file.by_id(ifc_definition_id), obj)
File "/Users/micha/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.5/scripts/addons/blenderbim/bim/import_ifc.py", line 1646, in place_object_in_collection
self.place_object_in_decomposition_collection(element, obj)
File "/Users/micha/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.5/scripts/addons/blenderbim/bim/import_ifc.py", line 1661, in place_object_in_decomposition_collection
return self.collections[aggregate.GlobalId].objects.link(obj)
KeyError: '3i7GgNlU502RvpZj$X0Sx2'
Location: /Applications/Blender350.app/Contents/Resources/3.5/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py:113
"

Thank you all for your great work !

Comments

• Hi, can you share the IFC file, or a parred down version of it?

• You could try to check the file with the IfcCheckingTool or the FZK-Viewer (same Link - and the same functionality), they have a Ifc Schema validation function. I mostly used them for files that do not comply with the definitions in the standard but they could also be useful for more serious errors in the IFC, I assume.

• The BlenderBIM Add-on has a validation tool in the IFC Debug panel you can try.

If the model is private you can send to dion@thinkmoult.com.

• @DavidE said:
    You could try to check the file with the IfcCheckingTool or the FZK-Viewer (same Link - and the same functionality), they have a Ifc Schema validation function. I mostly used them for files that do not comply with the definitions in the standard but they could also be useful for more serious errors in the IFC, I assume.

Didn't know this. Cool !

But it is Windows only. Will need some time ....

• @Moult said:
    The BlenderBIM Add-on has a validation tool in the IFC Debug panel you can try.

If the model is private you can send to dion@thinkmoult.com.

Will try validation later.
    I will send the IFC file with another DM

• @zoomer said:
    Will try validation later.

Ohm, I feel a bit overcharged by the IFC Debug Panel :)
    (I am just a mere Mac User)

• Thanks for the file. Your file has lots of validation problems, you can also get a report by uploading to https://validate.buildingsmart.org

Despite the validation problems, the loading issue is actually technically a bug. It seems as though your file has "aggregated types". This is the first time I have ever seen a model with aggregated types but it is technically valid. Thanks to you, this is now supported: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/commit/30dc13f1a7445b37b471ba778d0a6b531bf26f41

• Great !

But it seems like I should check my VW IFC Export Settings because of "aggregated types".
    It is a bit hard to understand how the settings really work in VW.
    And I am even not yet sure what I really want for e.g. multi-ply Walls.
    Simplified single Solid or separate Solids for each Ply.
    AFAIK "aggregated" was an IFC 2x3 mixture of both, but no more existent in IFC 4.0 (?)

Vectorworks states they were the first IFC 4.0 certified App.
    For my experience IFC 2x3 still looked more reliable so far. And you can't just switch between
    IFC versions. Because when you do, you have to re-tag all your custom geometry manually
    again :)

For me it looks like BlenderBIM is a step a head in IFC and maybe more functional than
    my CAD Apps.
    What are the IFC Versions that BlendeBIM recommends or likes best ?

• IFC 4 is always recommended. It has significantly more features across every single discipline.

• Thank you.

so I will switch/force everything to IFC 4.x where possible from now on.