FreeMVD - Random Tests - Mapped_Profiles_withVoid

edited March 2022 in General

@Moult, curious what do you think the roadmap looks like for BlenderBIM to accommodate shared, or mapped profiles?

Do you see using 'curves' for that? Or could a mapped profile be applied via a mesh object somehow?

Test Files: https://gitlab.com/osarch/FreeMVD_WorkFlow/-/tree/851d758cc22917c31acf4570672e63a9706307ef/Random Tests/Mapped_Profiles_withVoid

FreeMVD: Are experiments on how well certain objects roundtrip in/out of various BIM applications. We are always looking for volunteers, from other BIM applications, to add their results to these tests. If you can participate, ping @yorik or @theoryshaw and they can give you Gitlab push privileges.

Tagged:

Comments

• Curve extrusion has huge limitations in blender (at this time)

• Although curves do look promising at a first glance, due to the limitations hinted by @stephen_l I don't think it's the right way forward (unless Blender devs do a big overhaul). Problems like lack of control on extrusion direction, issues with material assignment, difficulty to manipulate (it has to be done numerically via the properties), inability to have multiple extrusions of different lengths in a single object...

Not sure how to solve this one yet. Perhaps a custom relationship attribute by the BlenderBIM Add-on, which records a clean or dirty state to synchronise the mesh profile... not exactly a happy solution, so I'll keep pondering it...

• edited July 2020

Ultimately defer to you guys because i'm a Blender noob, but so far it seems from my noob perspective, curves would seem to better accommodate...

• translation of IFCTRIMMEDCURVE and IFCCIRCLE
    • mapped profiles
    • voids with inner boundary
    • post modification of profile and extrusion length

2 cents.