[IFC & Blender] Object Placement vs Cartesian Point

edited February 2023 in General

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to coordinate models correctly. I've got the Problem that some models are being delivered in IFC2x3 and others in IFC4. If the models don't overlap correctly or their Origin Points don't match, I use most of the time the Patch "Offset Object Placements" and "Reset Absolute Coordinates". Nevertheless I don't understand the difference quite well. Someone that could explain me? I also don't understand the "Cartesian Points Placement" and "Object Placement". Does the origin point of a Mesh in blender has something to do with where the object is located in the IFC?

Comments

• Yes, the origin point in Blender indicates the object placement (insertion point, pivot point, etc) of the object. Have you read https://blenderbim.org/docs/users/georeferencing.html ?

It also sounds like you might have a variety of issues, unfortunately without seeing the models it's very hard to know exactly what issue your models have and to pinpoint which coordinates we can trust. Is it possible to share? (either screenshare, fileshare, etc)

• Thanks @Moult , I was searching completely in the wrong place. I knew I read everything some time ago. That was exactly the page I was looking for. Somehow I was completely sure it was in the forum. Sorry.

• added prefix and tags [IFC & Blender] to keep the forum usable and searchable