Autodesk AEC customers demand better value

2»

Comments

• The first step is: have a cross-platform UI (based on React):
    https://github.com/EAzari/Modern-UI
    So, I think for those who know Python, JavaScript and TypeScript are easy
    After this, we can focus on IFC and automation and also glTF and WebGL for web-based solutions and OpenGL and other libraries for desktop solutions

• @Moult even Google's ontology project is not good enough, however, it's your choice, you can still insist on average things

• Sorry, it's still not very clear what you are proposing.
    Cross platform UI that does what?
    Focus on doing what with IFC?
    Automating what?
    Desktop solutions for what?
    Before even proposing programming languages it needs to be clear at a granular level what exact problems you are tying to solve. And also why and how, else we'll only end up like revit!
    Or maybe you should build a prototype first and then it would be easier to understand what you mean and engage with the idea properly.

• edited August 2020

If you want to build any solution on the web and even on the Desktop, you should have a well-structured UI
    See this one from Autodesk guys, that used in many Forge projects:
    https://github.com/leefsmp/Re-Flex
    I don't explain anything, there're two possibilities:
    Those who know me and know that I don't share and don't do anything without a goal
    Those who don't know me and want I explain everything and I normally don't do that

• @DADA_universe said:
    Or maybe you should build a prototype first and then it would be easier to understand what you mean and engage with the idea properly.

• @DADA_universe If you all want that, you contribute to building that, I won't build anything for you all without your contribution :)

DADA_universeduncan
  • edited August 2020

Anything has a start, a peak point, and an end, so there's a long time I constantly mention Revit is at the end of its life, however, Autodesk has to have some hard decisions, because has to work more on Revit and aggregate and package many separate solutions mainly developed by plug-in developer companies as Autodesk partners

Also, as I mentioned, they mainly have focused on cloud, mainly "centralized" cloud, when big companies want "decentralized as well as distributed" solutions, and even solutions that "don't touch the data"

I always mention: Autodesk is really good at "marketing" than technical aspects, and one of their marketing strategies is having a lot of "small" partners who develop plug-ins or sale software and advertise Autodesk
    Also, many average experts who advertise Autodesk and Autodesk support them too

• I've started a page to collect relevant articles relevant to this project, https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_articles

• Revit users starting a journey

• There are more professional CAD & BIM software products to consider these days than waaayyyy overpriced AUTODESK products. I've never understood why larger practices & some individuals don't explore the market to recognise this fact & thus end up being VANILLA-CAD users & out of pocket. Instead of this tenuous lobbying, just change your CAD HB-PENCIL ! 😊

List of alternative CAD/BIM products than Autodesk:-

Cadline Network Ltd – ArchLine-Xp & LT (light) version
    Graphisoft - ArchiCAD
    Nemetschek - Allplan Architecture
    Gehry Technologies - Digital Project Designer
    Nemetschek - Vectorworks Architect
    Bentley - Architecture
    4MSA IDEA - Architectural Design (IntelliCAD)
    CADSoft - Envisioneer
    DataCAD LLC – Software for AEC Professionals
    Softtech – Spirit Pro
    Robert McNeel & Associates - Rhino 3D + VisualARQ
    AutoDesSys - Form-Z
    Edificius
    SketchUp Pro
    Bricsys – BricsCAD / BricsCAD BIM
    FreeCAD Arch
    Xeometric -EliteCad Architecture
    Chief Architect
    CadLogic - Draft it Architectural
    NanoSoft - NanoCad Construction
    ProgeSoft – ProgeCAD Architecture
    Avanquest – TurboCAD Professional
    Elecosoft – Arcon Evo
    Visual Building Premium
    ZWSOFT - ZWCAD Pro

• I wish "Gehry Technologies - Digital Project Designer" was open source
    However, I found an alternative, but it's too early to implement it

• @CJT1963 welcome to the OSArch forums! We're a community working together to build free software for the built environment! Out of the list you've mentioned, FreeCAD is the only free software, so that is our priority. You might be interested in this list: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory

• @Moult just free is not enough, all companies, and many experts investigate software before use it in personal or company project
    FreeCAD is a great movement but doesn't have characteristics needed to be used massively
    Yes, many will join (or joined) to the movement but will see it as an experimental project to gain experience, than use it in serious jobs

• I've seen some academic articles, mainly in PLM area that investigated FreeCAD before and in some areas it was better than even some well-known commercial tools
    HOWEVER, I strongly believe what today many, especially big companies are looking for you can't see in FreeCAD and BlenderBIM
    You guys think like some Autodeskers who develop Revit, they don't care about today or tomorrow, just develop "dirty" solutions, because they're Autodesk, they have enough users, even if develop a tool that has average features, that just makes some "NOOBS" happy

• @Moult said:
    @CJT1963 welcome to the OSArch forums! We're a community working together to build free software for the built environment! Out of the list you've mentioned, FreeCAD is the only free software, so that is our priority. You might be interested in this list: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory

Hi Moult,
    Understood, I guess I was just making a point that they seem obsessed (slaves) with Autodesk rather than to seek change with their CAD tools. I also didn't realise this arena was just for open source CAD discussion.

• @CJT1963 yes, that is a good point :) The OSArch community is indeed for open-source, hence the name OSArch. You can read the brief intro here:

The Open-Source Architecture Community brings together like-minded users and developers who share a common goal: that the built environment can be designed, constructed, operated, and recycled with free software, increased transparency, and a more ethical approach.

It isn't just CAD, though - it's everything related to AEC. This includes structural simulation, CFD modeling, lighting simulation, energy analysis, concept art, algorithmic building generation, costing and quantity surveying, geolocation and GIS, construction sequencing ... you know the drill :)

• @ReD_CoDE said:
    I've seen some academic articles, mainly in PLM area that investigated FreeCAD before and in some areas it was better than even some well-known commercial tools
    HOWEVER, I strongly believe what today many, especially big companies are looking for you can't see in FreeCAD and BlenderBIM
    You guys think like some Autodeskers who develop Revit, they don't care about today or tomorrow, just develop "dirty" solutions, because they're Autodesk, they have enough users, even if develop a tool that has average features, that just makes some "NOOBS" happy

Autodesk's CEO is only looking at improving shares value as fast as possible, whatever consequences, and was succeessfull.
    With such short term goals i'm afraid that nothing realy good may happen any time soon on Revit dev side.
    Bugs lasting for decade definitely looks like evidence of lack of care of issues customer are facing with on every day usage.

• @stephen_l I couldn't agree more Stephen, they've just focused on short-term goals, maybe because they mainly are working on cloud (web-based solutions or something hybrid) and also AI
    Maybe they build new product than Revit and Navisworks, so this is why they don't care about these solutions, I don't know, but I think this new boss just knows marketing and short-term plans

What makes me sad, is that BlenderBIM friends look like Autodesk guys, just try to build something new without any plan, I think this has happened to FreeCAD too, they just build a tree that looks like anything than a tree

• @ReD_CoDE said:
    FreeCAD is a great movement but doesn't have characteristics needed to be used massively

I would add... not yet!

• @carlopav from the path you follow it's easy to predict the near future, and believe in me, FreeCAD doesn't have any place better than the place today has in the future
    You're all work on things that today nobody cares about them, because almost all of them are outdated, not new

duncan