Hi,
dear community. Is this an expected behavior or I am missing something:
case 1 VENDOR to BBIM:

case 2 BBIM to VENDOR

Comments

• I forgot to add:
    BBIM_version: 0.0.230331
    vendor: ArchiCAD 25 6000

• Can you share the test.ifc of the first video? That will determine whether it is a bug for ArchiCAD or a bug in the BlenderBIM Add-on.

For the second video, I'll have to get back to you on that one. We still have some validation issues to fix there, but it is hard to know yet whether that is the cause of what you're seeing.

• A number of fixes were made for the second video. There are still more fixes to be made, which you can track here: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/2925

• Thank you very much! Here are my "test" files.

• The issues for the second video should now be fixed.

As for the first video, it is due to lack of data in the ArchiCAD model. The windows / etc provided in ArchiCAD only provide the parametric dimensions but do not actually include any geometry in the type. Therefore when you try to create an occurrence of it, it has no geometry to map, and will simply default to a cube. ArchiCAD should provide a body representation in addition to the parametric definitions. From the spec:

The geometric representation of IfcWindowStandardCase is defined using the following multiple shape representations for its definition:

Body: A SweptSolid, SurfaceModel, or Brep Representation or a CSG additionally defining the 3D shape of the standard window in addition to the parametric representation by applying the IfcWindowLiningProperties and an the IfcWindowPanelProperties to the Profile representation.

• @Moult said:
    The issues for the second video should now be fixed.

As for the first video, it is due to lack of data in the ArchiCAD model. The windows / etc provided in ArchiCAD only provide the parametric dimensions but do not actually include any geometry in the type. Therefore when you try to create an occurrence of it, it has no geometry to map, and will simply default to a cube. ArchiCAD should provide a body representation in addition to the parametric definitions. From the spec:

The geometric representation of IfcWindowStandardCase is defined using the following multiple shape representations for its definition:

Body: A SweptSolid, SurfaceModel, or Brep Representation or a CSG additionally defining the 3D shape of the standard window in addition to the parametric representation by applying the IfcWindowLiningProperties and an the IfcWindowPanelProperties to the Profile representation.

Thank you very much! I should set it up somewhere, or this is the vendors representing themself with the OPEN BIM badge, but in reality?

• @ALX_NDR well what I'm really curious about is what happens if you have two of the same window / door from ArchiCAD. Can you try that out and attach a file? That would provide some hints about what ArchiCAD is doing in regards to instancing / mapped representations.

Another issue is that their window is generated as a tessellation which doesn't have very high quality topology. You can see how creating an elevation shows the edges of the windows and it looks weird (i.e. like an assembly of multiple horizontal and vertical members):

• The "simple" file is the export from Archi and the "mod" is after I've imported to BBIM and added a window/door.

• AND thank you! The export from BBIM to VENDOR indeed worked from me(response for the second video-fix)!

• @ALX_NDR yeah, ArchiCAD seems to be mapping instances between occurrences but not at the type so that's pretty problematic. I'd file a bug with ArchiCAD asking them to properly follow the mapped representation concept.

• Thank you. Even though I think we both can estimate, how important this issue will be for them I'll still try...