Is there a way for BB to not reset the UV wrapping?

edited April 24 in General

Is it possible to add a context, and still maintain the blender material assignment? As you can see from the following video the material is removed.
Assume the blender/ifc file connection will be maintained.
Files attached. Open Blender file first. :)
video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxtf1fcmte4dysc/2023-06-09_15-30-55_Blender_[CUsersOwnerDesktoprock_test.blend]_blender.mp4?dl=0

Comments

• I guess it other words, is there a way for BB to not reset the UV wrapping?

• Even when you switch between contexts, in the type, it resets material assigments.

• Is there a concept of UV coordinates or arbitrary mesh attributes in the IFC schema ?

• "Object" coordinates is nice for procedural textures, but for more involved textures like a brick texture that are meant for being projected in 2D, it will show ugly distortion artifacts.
    For "simple" meshes (not sure it will work in you rock case) you might also be interested in triplanar mapping coordinates. It's a technique that's used a lot in video games that lets you basically project your texture on your mesh in all directions.
    If you don't know Erin Dale they're a content creator that provides a lot of node groups and insights into procedural modeling and texturing. You can watch this video

and get the node group there https://erindale.gumroad.com/l/untiling
    To show off how it works here's a procedural brick texture projected on a roof using Object coordinates

And with the "Basher" node from Erin Dale, using triplanar mapping (no UV Unwrapping, this is a IfcRoof in the BlenderBIM addon)

I'll add the file if you want to check the shader.

brunopostletheoryshawbruno_perdigao
  • Thanks @Gorgious! Will check it out.

• hi @theoryshaw
    have you found a way to retain the texture?

• Ha. I 'just' found out there looks like there is a way, via this operator, that I don't think is exposed yet to a UI.

Here's a video:

Not sure why the texture wasn't there the first time i opened the file... maybe because i didn't unwrap it.
    But looks like it's possible.

• I see, I could recreate that with a simple geometry like yours. I guess what I'm trying to do is possibly to complex for an ifc object. I'm not giving up on it just yet.
    I tried it with a semi-high resolution model of a plant and a transparent shader and with that I'm not able to manually assign the representation, because Blender becomes unresponsive.
    My goal is to create a library of objects which consists of:
    1. High resolution model with texturing for visualisation
    2. A simplified representation for project sharing
    3. 2D plan annotation
    4. 2D section annotation

When I read the documentation of Blender-Bim and watched all the tutorials I could find, as far as I understood it, it should be possible to link a non-ifc geometry with the ifc database. Or is that not the case?

• very cool.

High resolution model with texturing for visualisation

This would be a good one to solve, as currently anything with a lot of facets, kills (freezes up) blenderbim drawing creation.
    I remember @Moult talking about an approach to 'link' in higher resolution assets... can't find that conversation, however.

as far as I understood it, it should be possible to link a non-ifc geometry with the ifc database

I'm not sure i understand you, can you rephrase?

• "I'm not sure i understand you, can you rephrase?"
    I mean that a representation in BlenderBim can be a blender object, that is not part of the IFC-file, but gets linked through BlenderBIM.

"This would be a good one to solve, as currently anything with a lot of facets, kills (freezes up) blenderbim drawing creation.
    I remember @Moult talking about an approach to 'link' in higher resolution assets... can't find that conversation, however."

I guess what you talking about, is the same thing. In my understanding higher resolution assets should not be part of the ifc file, since they are to large for collaboration. I thought this was already possible.

• I just found that thread. Its also in the Wiki under "Optimization Tips to remember while working with BlenderBIM":
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=BlenderBIM_Add-on/BlenderBIM_Add-on_FAQ
    But he doesn't explain how he has linked the separate file.

• edited April 20

Typically, you'd want to treat your BIM model the same way you'd deal with creating assets for game - keep the polycount low, and make it generated (i.e. parametric) in standardised scenarios (e.g. profiles). If you do want to include high poly geometric assets, such as for archviz, keep that as a separate file, and have BIM include the low poly proxy, and reference the high poly asset via an external file

Yes, i don't think this exists yet.

You can link in .blend files into a .blend/.ifc session, but I don't think you can 'link' a non-ifc blender asset 'inside' an IFC type definition... could be wrong though.

• You can link in .blend files into a .blend/.ifc session, but I don't think you can 'link' a non-ifc blender asset 'inside' an IFC type definition... could be wrong though.<

No, I guess your right. I spent the last couple hours searching only for this, and I haven't found a way.

• You can link in .blend files into a .blend/.ifc session, but I don't think you can 'link' a non-ifc blender asset 'inside' an IFC type definition... could be wrong though.

Any ideas if it's possible in IFC in general to link some external file as part of the element's representation?

• The only mechanism that, that i know of, that would seem to fit, is discussed here: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/668