Poor Quality SVG

Hello
When I generate (through BlenderBIM) an svg of a 300mm square grille with some 6mm wide slots I get a messy-looking svg. I used CAD Sketcher and the Solidify modifier to create the geometry and applied it to an IFC class. Did I do something wrong or does this look about right (requiring clean-up in Inkscape is perhaps perfectly normal)?
Thanks

Comments

• Is a current limitation.

With this shape, however, you could use...

which improves it..

but i get the following error, if i tab into it...

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 1349, in invoke
        return IfcStore.execute_ifc_operator(self, context, is_invoke=True)
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\ifc.py", line 332, in execute_ifc_operator
        result = getattr(operator, "_invoke")(context, None)
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 1354, in _invoke
        return self.execute(context)
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 1247, in execute
        return IfcStore.execute_ifc_operator(self, context)
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\ifc.py", line 334, in execute_ifc_operator
        result = getattr(operator, "_execute")(context)
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 1306, in _execute
        operator()
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 1291, in <lambda>
        operator = lambda: bpy.ops.bim.hotkey(hotkey="S_E")
      File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.5\3.5\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 113, in __call__
        ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
    RuntimeError: Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\tool\ifc.py", line 186, in execute
        IfcStore.execute_ifc_operator(self, context)
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\ifc.py", line 334, in execute_ifc_operator
        result = getattr(operator, "_execute")(context)
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\model\workspace.py", line 489, in _execute
        if get_ifc_class(None, None):
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\model\prop.py", line 30, in get_ifc_class
        AuthoringData.load()
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\model\data.py", line 52, in load
        cls.data["ifc_classes"] = cls.ifc_classes()
      File "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\model\data.py", line 217, in ifc_classes
        if cls.data["ifc_element_type"]:
    KeyError: 'ifc_element_type'
    Location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.5\3.5\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:113

BedsonengfernandoGorgious
  • Yeah the tab-to-go-into-edit-mode feature still has a few edge cases with types where it throws an error, I'd like to tackle them or at least tell the user to not try to edit them :p Would you mind adding that as a bug report on github ?

• Changing the 'Representation' does create a cleaner result. However, if I rotate the grille to a random angle it now seems like the SVG shows a wireframe version:

• Ah that ifc_element_type error is due to how the new toolbar icons are implemented. I'll take a look.

@Bedson probably this: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/blob/v0.7.0/src/blenderbim/blenderbim/bim/module/drawing/operator.py#L828-L829 - try raising that number.

Bedson
  • I raised that number to 10,000. I then uninstalled BlenderBIM then reinstalled it to load the adjusted code (I don't code so I'm not sure if this was the right way to update the add-on). It now works with only one unwanted line:

• edited August 2023

Update. With the 230802 BlenderBIM release it seems like the 'Representation' has gone. I tried the following but BlenderBIM errored and the grille svg lost it's quality:
    Is there a way to have a shaded/rendered svg including dimensions and annotations?

• Is there a way to have a shaded/rendered svg

Is this what you're talking about?
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/384hrpz9tn9utc71fx77d/2023-08-04_10-45-12_Blender_blender.mp4?rlkey=n6lqqbkn4bqmva46vyyaetgrg&dl=0
    or this...
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9dvqjagpkdmt2kakf3kgc/2023-08-04_10-56-08_Blender_blender.mp4?rlkey=f99h14lf0f3nsgxmr01atvm2s&dl=0
    In terms of removing tessellation, I'm not sure what to suggestion, if you want keep the CAD sketcher workflow.
    I 'think' there's been some recent development, however, to remove this tessellation from the drawings, but it's hasn't been implemented yet... could be wrong.

Bedson