Shaft-representation of Elevator inside IFC-File

Hello.
In the attached model see our current IFC-Output of an Elevator (our lowest level). We received feedback that it is very unusual to put the IFCSpatialZone for the Shaft on the buildinglevel.
I am interested in your opinion how we best shall insert the information about the needed space of our Elevator to the IFC-File.
thanks a lot for your feedback in advance
Stefan

Tagged:

Comments

• It's not wrong to use an IfcSpatialZone to describe a usable area for the lift, but I'd agree that it is unusual if your purpose is to communicate a needed spatial provision. In that case, it is more appropriate to use an IfcBuildingElementProxy.PROVISIONFORSPACE in IFC2X3 and IFC4, or a IfcVirtualElement.CLEARANCE for IFC4X3.

As for your question about "on the building level", if you use an IfcBuildingElementProxy/IfcVirtualElement the correct way to do this would be to contain in the lowest building storey, and then use IfcRelReferencedInSpatialStructure for the other BuildingStoreys.

• Thanks Dion.
    I am interested to help with our data the architect. If you would have a wish what kind of representation you would prefer from building-side? a bad question , i know.
    To the topic "it is not wrong". Assuming we want to say that this Volume has to be reserved for the Elevator. And IFCSpatialZone is here the correct class for this. Does this help the architect to use this for the Building , for the purpose of the architect?
    If IFCSpatialZone is acceptable - and useful (more important) - is then Buildinglevel in this case ok?
    Stefan

• If you would have a wish what kind of representation you would prefer from building-side?

It probably doesn't matter so much. You can provide an extruded solid since it is literally an extruded profile, but I don't think anybody would complain if you used a tessellation.

Assuming we want to say that this Volume has to be reserved for the Elevator.

If this is your purpose, you should use IfcBuildingElementProxy with a predefined type set to PROVISIONFORSPACE, which would be contained in the lowest storey.

• @Moult
    Hi Dion. maybe exactly this is the reason that no one complain from customer-side.

I will check with our Software-Supplier if the proposals you given can be realized to make it again better. We are using a software called DigiPara LiftDesigner.
    Thanks a lot for your opinion
    Stefan

Moult
  • @Moult
    Our Software-Vendor has given already feedback and we have checked already if we can provide this alternative setting. Soon we make it available with only a few changed settings.
    Here i have to give a compliment to DigiPara: they are supporting IFC very good and let us very easy change the settings as we need it. They have integrated a very good database oriented way to define the output to IFC.
    And Dion, with your good and understandable explanation they and we can follow the standards with a good feeling.
    Stefan

MoultGorgious