ifcopenshell: find connecting faces / vertices without using ConnectedTo

Heyhey,
I'm still fairly new to ifcopenshell and I'm hoping that some more experienced users can help me find the most efficient way to solve my problem :)
Here is the problem: I need to determine the connections between walls and I have to deal with a bunch of IFC files, in which the ifc_element.ConnectedTo property is almost always empty. So my guess is that in order to find connecting faces or vertices I have to use the geometries to solve my problem. So far I have identified different strategies.
1. just find common vertices between two walls, however this does not solve all my problems, since I also have T connections where there will be no common vertices
2. transform the geometries to the 2D plane and use a third party geometry library to find an intersection between the polygons (2D should probably solve most of my cases for now and I should be able to transform it back to 3D)
3. try my luck with settings.USE_PYTHON_OPENCASCADE, but so far I have only scratched the surface of OCC and I would need several hours to find out if it is able to do the job.

Do you have any hints for me, what might be the most promising approach?

Comments