Blender / BlenderBim Addon - Version Folder Management

After testing BBA for a short amount of time, it is time for me to review my version folder management and addon folder management. Is there any such documentation or videos that discuss the best practices for everyday Users or System adminstrators, for where to to store Blender and BlenderBIM Addon folders?

Comments

• The BlenderBIM zip file is really only intended to be installed by a user via Preferences > add-ons, but it is possible to install add-ons system wide, this is described here: Blender Directory Layout

You could just unzip BlenderBIM to this SYSTEM location, but I think that without a package manager (msi, rpm, deb etc..) it would create an administrative nightmare. Note that even if you install an add-on system wide, the user still has to go to Preferences > add-ons and enable it.

With BlenderBIM being used increasingly in large offices I can see a need for an MSI installer soon.

Flies_Eyes
  • @brunopostle said:
    The BlenderBIM zip file is really only intended to be installed by a user via Preferences > add-ons, but it is possible to install add-ons system wide, this is described here: Blender Directory Layout

You could just unzip BlenderBIM to this SYSTEM location, but I think that without a package manager (msi, rpm, deb etc..) it would create an administrative nightmare. Note that even if you install an add-on system wide, the user still has to go to Preferences > add-ons and enable it.

With BlenderBIM being used increasingly in large offices I can see a need for an MSI installer soon.

Perfect, that was the exact documentation I was seeking, I will just need to get my head around it now and come up with a guideline to follow. I think the more I use and the more addons and scripts I include I my guide will need to evolve with time behind the wheel. I am still on my first version (B3.6.2 and BBA 230902) and I haven't started to dabble with multiple versions yet, although keen to explore B4.0 when it is released.

When I load a new version of Blender or BBA how do the pluggins and scripts migrate and connect to the new version? Is this this manual process that should create an easy way to transfer these or is that the purpose of the secondary roaming User Account that they can be found no matter which version we run.

• edited November 2023

@Flies_Eyes This video might help with Blender updates, it's for an earlier version but principles remain the same. The Add-ons will migrate over

Flies_Eyes
  • @Nigel said:
    @Flies_Eyes This video might help with Blender updates, it's for an earlier version but principles remain the same. The Add-ons will migrate over

Ahhh..... yes. Very helpful. I thought there must be some sort of process required to manage this. That will definitely be added to my system administration Guideline. I am assuming this will save not only the Blender settings but also associated applications like BBA etc. I think once I've done it a few times I will get a better feel for all the moving parts.