IFC Element Creation / Material Application

Hello everyone! First of all, I would like to express my gratitude towards the team for working on one of the most admirable projects in the AEC industry. I am a project coordinator for a construction company, and I am currently trying to improve my construction game by using Blender BIM.
I have already created an IFC footing type and I am looking to attach some quantifiable metadata to it, such as MPA, rebar sizes and directions etc. Although the building blocks are already present, I am struggling to find a way to tie it all together.

My question is: How can I set the object material to an IFC Material Profile set, where I can control the length, width, and depth? Or does it have to be a material layer set even for footings? If it remains as a material layer set, I have to control the depth of the footing from the material rather than the profile. None of the profiles in the demo library are a simple cube with HxWxD.

Additionally, can someone please explain or direct me to a location where I can learn how to add materials to elements, and how to properly fill out all the information in the material section of Blender BIM? As I work in construction, I am looking for one location to store all of the given elements' metadata, in this case, a footing, that can later be called out and quantified.
To me, it looks like the material is stored in different locations. on is the "Project Overview"

The Other is Geometry and Materials

I know this might be a rehashed topic but I am new here and I would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction. I looked everywhere but since the UI has changed it's a bit hard to follow some of the information out there.
Again, thanks for all your help! This project has inspired me to learn a lot more about BIM and IFC.

Comments