No geometry from FreeCad IFC

Attached is a IFC file (from FreeCAD), I can open it and see all the geometry and properties in Bexel Manager as per the attached screenshots, but when I open it in BlenderBIM I can see no geometry or properties please advise what I am doing wrong.
Thanks for the support

Comments

• @Roel
    Hi! There was an issue when some element was attached to IfcProject directly, not through IfcSite/IfcBuilding etc, just resolved it in the commit.
    You can try it out by installing latest blenderbim build from the github releases page.

theoryshawsemhustejSkreimeyer
  • Tested with FreeCAD NativeIFC and previous import, seems both have no problem :)

• Native-IFC import

• Original Arch/BiM import

• @Roel
    Learning about the cause of the initial issue furthermore, now I think there is a problem with .ifc file.
    In IFC specs it states that actual objects in the model should be attached to the IfcProject not directly (as it's done in this IFC file) but through spatial hierarchy elements like IfcSite/IfcSpace/etc. So without fixing this problem with .ifc you might run into some other issues in the future.

Though not sure if this is an issue with this particular file or it's connected to FreeCAD IFC export.

Roel
  • @ Andrej, thanks it works.
    Thanks for your time and effort.
    I thought an IFC TYPE would not be part of the object hierarch as it has not been allocated into the hierarch in the IFC Project.
    I was creating a bunch of very simple IFC TYPEs in FreeCAD with the intention to change the Class and add properties in BlenderBIM. Creating an IFC library for projects.
    I will follow the IFC object hierarch elements like IfcSite… next time.

• @Andrej730 said:
    @Roel
    Learning about the cause of the initial issue furthermore, now I think there is a problem with .ifc file.
    In IFC specs it states that actual objects in the model should be attached to the IfcProject not directly (as it's done in this IFC file) but through spatial hierarchy elements like IfcSite/IfcSpace/etc. So without fixing this problem with .ifc you might run into some other issues in the future.

Though not sure if this is an issue with this particular file or it's connected to FreeCAD IFC export.

@yorik Have a look at the discussion if you have a gap :)

• You can export from FreeCAD an IFC file with objects attached directly to the project, although indeed it's bad practice. We allowed it because we wanted to advocate for the possibility to do so. In early stages of project design, you might want to throw objects without really having to think to which spacial structure it should belong. Under Edit -> Preferences -> Import/Export -> IFC, you have options to allow/restrict those non-standard behaviours. Note that they are restricted by default, so if you don't go there to specifically allow it, a default spatial structure will be created automatically when exporting the file, for objects that are not already part of a spatial structure.

Andrej730RoelCadGirupaulleesemhustej