History of IFС format and the openBIM concept. Free converter Revit(2015-2022) and IFС2х3 formats

edited November 2023 in General

? Hello everyone,

I understand that my position on the IFC format has not been well received by many of you.
In 2021, I received valuable information from the pioneers of the IFC format and various members of the buildingSMART chapters and rooms. As an information broker, I have shared in my articles what I have learned from “outside” sources.

I have great respect for the OSARCH community, however I do not agree that control over the development and quality of the IFC format is in the hands of the CAD vendors. I supported my point of view with evidence and links in the video, where I talked about the development of CAD companies and the invention of approaches to BIM and openBIM:

In my 2022 posts, I emphasized the need to create native tool for creating and processing the IFC format as a true alternative to the existing openBIM concept, the marketing creation of Graphisoft and Trimble.

For my project DataDrivenConstruction, I took a special approach to data processing and developed a converter using reverse engineering tools to extract data from Revit and IFC files. I believe it is important for construction industry professionals to have access to free data in user-friendly formats similar to those used in other sectors of the economy.

If you need open and convenient formats for working with data from IFC and Revit projects, please download solutions for free from the website.

?Free IFC2x3-to-Excel/DAE converter:
https://datadrivenconstruction.io/index.php/product/free-ifc-2x3-converter-to-xlsx-dae-2024/
? Free Revit®(2015-2022)-to-Excel/DAE converter
https://datadrivenconstruction.io/index.php/product/free-revit-2015-2021-converter-to-xlsx-dae/

? I will be glad to receive any of your comments, both on the video about the history of the creation of the IFC format and on the capabilities and functionality of the converter!

Warm regards,
Artem

SkreimeyerdoiaMoult

Comments

• I enjoyed the video, and I would only add that the languishing productivity in construction is a multi-faceted problem that I would not lay all or even the majority of the blame on design software vendors.
    I am curious if you've researched the history of CAD software in the transportation and infrastructure space. Bentley's product since for the last two decades or so, as far as I can tell, is the sunk cost fallacy. I'm encouraged that AASHTO endorsed IFC in 2019, which is at least an improvement on the current state of affairs, but my understanding is that IFC for infrastructure is, at least for now, really only useful as a for-record type of document (you might be able to view elements, but they aren't ready to edit directly).

ArtemBoiko
  • Skreimeyer many thanks, i agree - low productivity in construction is a multifaceted problem, but I think the main problem in efficiency is the problem of information flow and data management, which is the lifeblood of any construction company.

Unfortunately, I have researched little about the field of CAD in the field of transport and infrastructure, since the field of transport has its own regional characteristics in each country. For example, in Germany there are hundreds of programs in the field of transport and infrastructure, which, unfortunately, can hardly be used in other countries, so here we will have to study hundreds or rather thousands of products, which of course have common roots.

• hi @ArtemBoiko (previously known as OpenDataBIM, nice that you think of OSArch every now and then and drop in to say hi.

Open Formats

(page on the wiki)
    You mention your development of (yet another in our industry) open and convenient format. How are you progressing with documenting the structure of the format to make it realistic for others to implement?
    Of course it's nice that your tools are free (so is Revit as a viewer) but as you know OSArch is not about zero-cost software but rather about libre/gratis software aka. Free Software (a term I find very misleading and try and avoid). You may be aware that BlenderBIM/IfcOpenShell can export IFC2x3 and IFC4.? data to a spreadsheet and then import the changes again. It can also export DAE files.

Data Liberation

I'll say that personally what you've done to extract data directly from the Revit file, without Revit, is great. I'm a big fan of any form of data-liberation, especially to a human readable format like DAE. Have you considered exporting to ODS as a truly open spreadsheet format alternative to XLSX?

Free / Libre / Open Source Software

(software directory)
    We've previously discussed you releasing your tools as libre/gratis, is that on your roadmap? @Moult and others encouraged you to look into the commercial opportunities that are possible while still releasing under OpenSource licenses. Your approach to offering a free version of the exporter for earlier versions of the format could be one approach. Another approach could be the way QCAD works, with newer more complex functions only available in the commercial version, another approach again is that of XeoKit where the basic version is OpenSource (AGPL) but commercial partners can work with @xeolabs 'in the dark' (proprietary) because he uses a dual license. This allows him to work with individuals and universities on XeoKit while still selling commercial solutions if that's what a client prefers.

Nigelzhukoven
  • edited November 2023

Hi @duncan. Thank you very much for your comment.
    Open Formats
    IFC is not a truly open format because the parameterization and classification of the format is almost entirely under the control of CAD vendors. IFC will become a truly open format if the OsArch community can make its own IFC, decoupled from CAD-buildingSMART, with its own classification and description of parametric geometry in a native product in which we can also implement native applications from 4D and up. BlenderBIM and IfcOpenShell also use the Russian OpenCascade geometry kernel - which also has its limitations.

So far we are all dancing to the tune of CAD vendors. And until we realize this, there will never be anything truly open and free in our industry," we will continue to be the captive users of BIM products.
    "For example, Revit as a viewing tool - why Revit? We get all of our data completely from Revit and the IFC program without having to open Revit or any CAD or BIM programs. XLSX is not Excel, it's more DataFrame.

Data Liberation
    "Have you considered exporting to ODS" - we used to export data to CSV, but unfortunately even this open and extremely popular format is extremely difficult for professionals working in construction. XLSX is no longer the closed format it was 10 years ago. It can be easily converted to ODS, CSV or XML, JSON.

Free / Libre / Open Source Software
    I have a lot of respect for both @Moult and you @duncan, and the OsArch community as a whole. But I have to single-handedly fight the misconception that IFC and buildingSMART are open organizations. That's why I've written articles and created videos explaining the nature of the emergence of these "open" concepts from CAD vendors.

"Explore commercial opportunities" - I don't have enough experience in commercialization and project funding yet. Everything that happens at DataDrivenConstruction is done by me alone. I would be more than happy to take any advice or discuss the possible topic of creating a "doctors without borders" society for our industry. For now, I am alone - and to everyone I am like an inconvenient startup hindering the development of the topic of BIM and everything related to openBIM and IFC.

doia
  • IFC is not a truly open format because the parameterization and classification of the format is almost entirely under the control of CAD vendors.

This is simply not true.

But I have to single-handedly fight the misconception that IFC and buildingSMART are open organizations.

I don't really understand your agenda for making such vague claims, I've read your disuccions with several people on this forum in the past and I think going into discussion with you is not such a good idea. I am just worried you might influence people who are not really knowledgeable about the subject.
    Hope your project works out and wish you all the best.

Nigelzhukovenduncandoia
  • edited November 2023

@Coen thanks! I will assume that you only see one side of the coin and do not notice the other.
    This short video discusses in detail and explains with all references the emergence of BIM, openBIM, BuildingSMART and IFC.
    The video contains facts that we can happily discuss here: