Strategies for using project/site/building/storey from another IFC

Hi everyone,
Is there a recommended way of importing/sharing the settings and hierarchy of a model, without loading any of the elements with geometrical representation? I want to assign an IFC class to some mesh objects I have created and then export to IFC, but have the object share the IfcProject/IfcSite etc. with another IFC file. It would be great if the new file could be linked to other IFC files (architectural, structural) without being treated as coming from another project.

My naive first approach, opening the other IFC file with BlenderBIM, selecting and deleting the existing geometrical objects, creating my own IfcBuildingElementProxy from the mesh and dragging it to the correct IfcBuildingStorey folder in the Blender outliner does not seem to work.

Extra background information:
A final detail just to make sure I don't fall into the XY trap. My impression is that IfcOpenShell should be used directly instead of bpy.ops.bim when possible, but the object I have at hand is originally created as a gltf model. What I plan to do is use bpy.ops.import_scene.gltf(filepath) to import this model, then loop through the objects in the scene and use bpy.ops.bim.assign_class and name_of_IfcBuildingStorey.objects.link to place the object in the correct spot. Please let me know if there are better ways of doing this, I'd perfer to skip using BlenderBIM altogether and use IfcOpenShell in a Python environment outside of Blender :)

JanFatomkarincasteverugi

Comments

• Yeah I was wondering the same. I was also hoping Blender bim would recognize the same project/site/building when linking the files.

• @JanF said:
    Yeah I was wondering the same. I was also hoping Blender bim would recognize the same project/site/building when linking the files.

yes! and while at it let MergeProject patch have the same chance, thanks ;)