Use LibreDWG as a linked independent program for a commercial software

I wonder if somebody knows if it is allowed according to the GNU General Public License would be allowed to run a manually separately installed version of LibreDWG to convert DWG to DXF from within a commercial software? The idea is to have a link to LibreDWG similar to FreeCad

Comments

• Yes, GPL doesn't restrict that. But if you include it as a library than you have to GPL your commercial app.

From a FAQ:

1. Do I have to release my source code if I use a GPL library in my project?

Yes. If you use a GPL library in a project that’s released, the GPL requires that you release the source code of your entire project. This is because the GPL considers the combination of the library and your code as a derived work, subject to the copyleft requirements of the license. If you’ve modified a program’s source code for personal or internal use, there’s no need to release its source code. However, if you make the modified program available to the public, you must also make the code public.
    [...]
    9. Can I use GPL-licensed software in a commercial product and a web application and can I link my proprietary software with a GPL library?

Yes, if you make the source code of the GPL-licensed software available to your customers and you don’t restrict the distribution or modification rights of the GPL-licensed components. And you can link your proprietary software with a GPL library.

Remember that if you modify the GPL-licensed software or combine it with your code in a web application, you must also make the modified source code available to users of your web application upon request.

Make sure you either include a copy of the GPL license with any software you develop and distribute or make it available by providing instructions on how to obtain it. If you link your proprietary software with a GPL library and then distribute it, it’s vital that the entire application is licensed under the GPL, and you must provide the corresponding source code.

Source: https://www.mend.io/blog/top-10-gpl-license-questions-answered/#7_Do_I_have_to_release_my_source_code_if_I_use_a_GPL_library_in_my_project

Max
  • edited March 18

How Open Source license works:

Nigel