Vertex Coordinates

edited March 31 in General

How do I get the coordinates of a vertex from the model I have loaded into BlenderBIM?
BTW: I do not even know how to select the vertex I would like to get the coordinates from ...
bernd

Comments

• @bernd if you're after how to get coordinates from IFC geometry, see https://blenderbim.org/docs-python/ifcopenshell-python/geometry_processing.html

If you're after how to get coordinates of a Blender object, it's:

obj = bpy.context.active_object # your actively selected object
    print([v.co for v in obj.data.vertices])

• edited March 31

Cool to know how to interact with ifc-geomtetry and Python in BlenderBIM :-) Something I knew only how it works in FreeCAD by importing the geometry into FreeCAD in Python an duse FreeCAD geometry tools. Very helpful for me. But in our company I am the only one who speaks Python.

As written in another topic. I am evaluating BlenderBIM as IFC-Viewer. If it would work I might install it on a wider range of work stations in our company. For this I only can make use of GUI operations. Is there a way to select a vertex of a imported geometry and get the coordinate without Python?

• @bernd yes, you can position the 3D cursor with snapping enabled (e.g. to snap to a vertex, or midpoint, or edge, or whatever), then you can read that coordinate off the N side panel.

Owura_qu
  • edited March 31

@Moult said:
    @bernd yes, you can position the 3D cursor with snapping enabled (e.g. to snap to a vertex, or midpoint, or edge, or whatever), then you can read that coordinate off the N side panel.

mhh found a solution, but without snapping ... it seams I did not understand the snapping way of selection a vertex ...

• in object mode select object
    • switch to edit mode, make sure vertex editing is active
    • select a vertex
    • press button n --> transform gets open --> may be switch in transform from lokal to global
    • any vertex of selected object can be selected and in transform the coordinate changes
  • edited April 2

You can also use the 3D cursor, enable snapping to vertex and then SHIFT + Right Click in the viewport. Open the View sub-panel in the right hand side panel and locate "3D Cursor". You don't need to go into edit mode with this method which isn't possible for some smart objects in the BlenderBIM addon.

Bedsonsteverugibernd
  • got it ... cool Works great, one just has to keep in mind how the snap works in Blender. Do not click on the vertex but click dwon nearby move to the vertex until the snap icon pops up, leave the button. With this the cross is just on the vertex even if zoomed in ...

• Found something very cool by mistake ... if pref turn around selected obeject is activ and with Object edit a vertex is selected the view turns around this vertex. Which means turn works great even if zoomed in very very deep.

• Also consider alt+middle mouse click to focus on a certain point , works like middle mouse click in free cad. Navigation works great in blender once you get used to It ;)

berndGorgious