BBIM | Formworks in IFC, anyone?

edited May 12 in General

Looking for the right way to classify formworks, I found a predefined entry under IfcConstructionProductResourceType

So I thought " OK, maybe I model them using IfcCovering and check if it can work with resources> BoQ in a Cost item for Concrete.."

then I found out that Product is somehow treated differently in the Resource panel:

Question:

In general, what is the right way to work with formworks in IFC?
using IfcCovering I can get their area quantity but I was wondering if there is a more appropriate procedure, especially when the Cost Item's quantity is derived from Resources, like in a rate build-up.

thanks in advance for your help

Edit

going through IFC docs I realized that unlike

• Qto_ConstructionEquipmentResourceBaseQuantities
  • Qto_LaborResourceBaseQuantities
  • Qto_ConstructionMaterialResourceBaseQuantities

there is no provision for Product.. because it defines a "role"?
so my best guess atm is to identify formworks using Material and set it as WOOD and be happy with that :p

Owura_quatomkarincaMassimoArv

Comments

• Hi @steverugi ,
    This is quite an interesting area of work. I had checked on working with formwork earlier, but couldnt pursue it further then.
    This is what I've understood about IfcConstructionProductResource from IFC documentation

• unlike IfcProduct, there's no IfcProductRepresentation for IfcResource. So I'm not sure whether you'll be able to 'show' them in 3D
    • They do have an attribute that is BaseQuantities which could be area, volume, length, weight, but I guess these are to be entered as value unlike calculating them from the shape product (Maybe the values from calculating the Surface area from shape representation can be processed here)
      I'd happy to explore more on these here :)
  • Hi @Arv :

This is what I've understood about IfcConstructionProductResource from IFC documentation

• unlike IfcProduct, there's no IfcProductRepresentation for IfcResource. So I'm not sure whether you'll be able to 'show' them in 3D
    • They do have an attribute that is BaseQuantities which could be area, volume, length, weight, but I guess these are to be entered as value unlike calculating them from the shape product (Maybe the values from calculating the Surface area from shape representation can be processed here)

thanks for your input, please where did you find the BaseQuantities related to an IfcConstructionProductResource ? I couldn't find any Qto_
    cheers

• ArvArv
    edited May 15

Its a direct attribute available under IfcConstructionResource and not as a property

check the documentation link
    I wonder if there are any ways to show any representation though. @steverugi how have you been able to bring in shape representation here

• edited May 15

@Arv said:
    Its a direct attribute available under IfcConstructionResource and not as a property

OK

check the documentation [link]
    I wonder if there are any ways to show any representation though.

me too, I think the BaseQuantity here is for consumption , not quantity related to an entity, maybe more a 4D thing?

@steverugi how have you been able to bring in shape representation here

I wasn't, what I showed in my first post was from the Resources panel, it's a bit of uncharted territory for me here, sorry

I mean, I am very familiar with resources used in a program of work (MS Project) but I haven't got the chance yet to fully implement it in an IFC/BBim scenario