If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Blender Improved Booleans

It looks like in 2.91 will implement improvement to booleans including fixes to issues with coplanar surfaces and the ability to apply booleans to collections.

magicalcloud_75ReD_CoDEMoult

Comments

• edited September 2020

@stephen_l now can multiple layers be collections? to apply boolean on multiple layers?
    Interesting, but it seems that it still is slow

• Keep in mind that boolean is a modifier, so in one side say operand "A" you are only able to have one entity, but other operands "B" may be as many objects as you need, linked into a collection. You may link objects to any number of collections so i guess it will solve your "layer??" issue.
    Archipack use 2 nested booleans modifiers, merging holes into a single entity and then removing result from walls.

"Exact" boolean rely on strong conical boolean and constrained delaunay, so you can't expect it to be fast, but it is expected to be way stronger than simple one.
    Collection speed up may occur when operands are >= 10.

ReD_CoDEMoult
  • The multiple layear issue I think still exists, because I still don't know how a wall can have multiple layers, but still be or act as an object/entity?
    I mean a wall is a collection of layers, when still is a just one object called wall, and how booleans create the holes?
    I mean, not only merging holes needed but also merging wall layers needed?

• edited September 2020

"Exact" boolean will handle wall's layers assuming each layer is properly closed mesh part, even with co-planar faces. And yes, wall's layer must be merged into a single object.

ReD_CoDE
  • @stephen_l does Archipack support multilayer walls?

And how do these walls react to structures like slabs and beams? Will a section give correct output construction wise?

What confuses me is how to deal with LOD with blender (or FreeCAD) and correct layering output for construction elements.

The best implementation I've seen so far in proprietary software, seems to be BricsCAD bim with the layer edition and the propagate function.

Propagate seems to involve IA, but would that layering edition be easy with Archipack? And would it be lost if a wall would be edited after it changed?

• Archipack was designed as arch-viz tool, so walls layers did not make any sense in that context.
    There is now huge demand to move into a bim oriented solution, and the new boolean is an opportunity to enable support for layers in archipack's wall.
    There is no magick other than 2d synchronization of floors / moldings / neighboors walls when editing walls beside automatic sloped roof fitting.
    Changes will not be lost as long as the edition is done through manipulators (edit mode changes are lost) - walls are parametric, so you don't loose parameters.

ReD_CoDEDarth_Blender
  • For me that is a great solution. If wall types could also be defined by profile with constraints, like a sweep of a floor, and then other elements like structures would subtract to it with a modifier, life would be great!