ifc2openifc ?

edited October 2020 in General

Dear OSArch,
with BlenderBIM (BIMtester and co.) we have something like the 'Solibri' modelchecker and editor. IfcOpenShell is the ifc parser behind (the translator from ifc-code to geometry). OCCT the CAD builder in FreeCAD (in Blender? brep representations of it?).
what lacks in the BIM world is this interoperability between ifc files coming from different horizonts, all having a little different taste depending on which software they were build from, and first of all, who built them (their ability to create some OpenBIM ifc). The education of the ifc-creators is the problem of the interoperability.
Am I right until now?

We have also some high level tools like topologise or sverchok.
Is the idea of an ifc-to-open-ifc converter) something in reach?
Let us have a 'robot' running through the ifc (wherever it comes from) and let him analyse the building structure. His analyse is than the base for a re-export of an OpenBim ifc. Would this be the ifc2openifc converter?

This tool does not have to deliver high levels of details. A first step would be to generate walls with 'room' and 'storey' definitions that are compatible for the import into the next tool.
Here at work we receive Revit-native ifc's that should go into DDS-CAD (for electrical planing). This same model should go into Dialux-Evo for light-planing. The model should accept the ifc of the HVAC engineer for clash detection.
And most of the time this fails because of the ifc...
The electrical engineer needs low level of details..the wall information is at a first stage enough..there is one and it defines the contour of a room. it needs a floor (the finished floor level) and two ceilings (the 'raw' one, and the architect one (the one that covers the hvac instalations and the final one where lights are build in/on), the positons of door and windows.
At a second stage he needs to know what the wall is made of: the construction part of the electrical elements.
A working workflow for this first stage would 'save' the BIM processes.. I do not know any colleague not complaining about the BIM world. BIM is really very very helpful once the workflow is set, means the interoperability between ELT, HVAC and Architect works.

Dion is right with his certification initiative: the ifc builder need the OpenBIM reference, some standard to lean to.
Then the software maker can also aim at this reference, making the ifc2openifc converter obsolete at some time.

I am longing for this time.

Lukas

Tagged:

Comments

• I think until you have a robot to do ifc properly, you have to tell people how to do it first. In your case, it's back to the Revit modeler. Tell him to read https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Revit_setup
    If he can not produce what you want because of Revit's limitation, tell him to try another software such as FreeCAD or BlenderBIM.