OpenBIM & manufacturer content

I've created a new page on the wiki https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=OpenBIM_Manufacturer_Content
Anyone have comments or experience to add?
I have a small job creating content for a manufacturer and am looking for the best way to make the content available in a useful way to as many software platforms as possible. My authoring software is Revit as well as whatever free/libre tools we agree here are useful. For example I discussed with @Cyril and @Moult that maybe modeling the objects for IFC export from scratch in FreeCAD would give a better result than exporting them to IFC from Revit.
So, what do people think I should do? And please edit the wiki adding your knowledge.

Comments

• I've added a bit more to the table at the bottom, which hopefully can help people make an informed decision.

duncan
  • I think it's useful to look what filetypes are supported on Bimobject.com. They are one of the biggest manufacturer content site. They support 69 different file formats, some of them are just containers like zip or non bim filetypes like hatch patterns or pdfs. Here is the list of their supported filetypes for reference:
    3ds
    Allplan
    ARC Plus
    ARCHICAD
    ArchiCAD AAT file
    ArchiWIZARD
    ArchLine
    Artlantis
    AutoCAD
    Autodesk Civil 3D
    AutoDesk Inventor Assembly
    AutoDesk Inventor Part
    Bentley MicroStation
    BIMx
    Cinema 4D
    COBie Product Data Sheet
    COBie Product Data Template
    Collada
    DWF
    DXF
    Dynamo
    Excel
    fbx
    Filmbox 3D Asset Exchange (FBX)
    Hatch Patterns
    HTML
    IES
    Ifc
    Initial Graphics Exchange
    Installation File (EXE)
    itm
    JPG
    JSON
    JT
    Light Data
    Log File
    Materials & Textures
    Microsoft Visio
    MiniCAD
    MLIB
    OBJ
    PDF
    PLA (ArchiCAD Model)
    PNG
    Point Cloud
    Powerpoint
    Revit
    Revit Family Type Catalog
    Revit Installer
    Revit Lookup Table
    Revit Shared Parameters
    Rhino
    SAT
    Sketchup
    SolidWorks Assembly
    SolidWorks Part
    Step
    STL
    Tekla Structures Model
    TurboCAD
    Twinmotion
    VDI 3805
    Vectorworks
    Video
    WinRAR
    Word
    WRL
    XML
    Zip

duncan
  • I would argue that dwg stores parametric capabilities to a certain extent, parametric blocks in dwg are quite powerful, or do you mean something else?

• You mean AEC Objects, with obscure "objects enablers" like ?

• Sorry, I don't really understand your question

• edited November 2020

AEC Objects are parametric objects embed into .dwg, they require special software handlers and mostly are in use in domain specific applications like Architectural Desktop (discontinued), AutoCAD Architecture, or AutoCAD MEP. In order for other ADSK software to be able to read them, one must install dedicated "object enabler".

• edited November 2020

Nah, I simply meant the parametric blocks you can build in the block manager and if I remember correctly Autocad architecture has a library of those. Thay can have attributes and parameters.

(Not that anyone in their right mind would ever try to seriously do that and hilariously it seems to be more or less limited to xy plane)

• Anyone know how to make reference notes in the wiki? It'd be fine to mention parametric blocks, just not in the main text.

• @duncan use <ref>foo bar</ref>

duncan