Asset Browser Project in Bender 3.0

The Asset Browser will be a big milestone for Blender. A lot of effort goes into landing its first iteration for Blender 3.0. Here’s a demo, some design background and a short introduction of the recently held the asset workshop.

https://code.blender.org/2021/06/asset-browser-project-update/

Tagged:
basweinAceMoultDADA_universeduncanLaurensJNhtlcnn

Comments

• This is a really important topic for AEC :) Thanks so much for sharing!

• edited June 2021

• Hi, I have been trying to save an IFC model as an asset, 'Mark Asset' and then being able drop that into a new file from Blender 3.0 Asset Browser. At present the entire IFC is broken down to individual components in the 'Objects & Collections' menu. What I was hoping to do was drop individual IFCs (a whole building or a whole room or similar) into a new file and save these as a new IFC

• Transferring IFC objects is not quite the same as dragging and dropping regular Blender objects. This is because IFC objects (and BIM data in general) contain a huge amount of data and potentially multiple geometric representations and relationships that Blender doesn't understand.

The beginnings of solving this problem is in the new IFC Project Library panel where you can for now only import in types from other projects. It doesn't quite work in terms of dropping individual objects from another IFC, though, but that sounds like really useful functionality and perhaps not too tricky to code. Would you like to help code and contribute?

• I would love to be able to code but I'm limited to a bit of BASIC in the 80s, I am willing to try though
    would it help for a start for me to describe what I am thinking, a brief?

• @Nigel it might help to first try out the IFC Project Library asset appending feature and get a feel for how it is similar to what you want. Then, there are some docs to get started here :) https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/tree/v0.6.0/src/blenderbim/docs/blenderbim

• thank you so much, I have trouble trying to find the docs to help me learn BlenderBim

• edited July 2021

Handling "predefined" bim properties for objects / presets will probably require to store bim data in custom properties as json, and a handler to synch the data with blenderbim's file at "drop" time.
    @Moult, any idea about this ? something like json de/serialisation of entity properties, or raw ifc file entity as strings and use some kind of merge ?

• @stephen_l I think we can just use IfcProjectLibrary. It was designed for this purpose.

• edited July 2021

@Moult My point is how to retrieve and keep ifc data along with blender's objects outside of the blenderbim's file scope, and then re-inject the data in the blenderbim's file ?

edwinguerra
  • @stephen_l ah, you mean like how to do a copy paste from one Blend file to another and still keep all the IFC data?

Yes, perhaps a serialisation of the subgraph and temporary dump to the active object would be a good idea.