OSArch NFT sposorship badges

A random idea: would selling a "OSArch supporter badge" NFT be perhaps a simple way to organize international donations? Say thare is a company wanting to donate money, but they can't because OSArch is not a legal enitity in their country, so they buy our NFT instead and have it as an outlay?
@duncan what do you think?

Comments

• @JanF said:
    A random idea: would selling a "OSArch supporter badge" NFT be perhaps a simple way to organize international donations? Say thare is a company wanting to donate money, but they can't because OSArch is not a legal enitity in their country, so they buy our NFT instead and have it as an outlay?
    @duncan what do you think?

But, where the money should going? Any company will need to have warranty that the money is goin to OSArch as institution to be spent on OSArch's stuff and not to a personal pocket of someone...

• Well as far as I understand it pretty much all current cryptocurrencies work with public blockchains, meaning all the accounts are by nature completely transparent - anyone can see where the money came from and where it goes.
    Unless Duncan made a lot of progress in this topic I'm not aware of, we haven't yet settled on any mechanism to redistribute the funds we have. But as soon as we do (no matter if it is member votes, donators vote, github activity or anything else) I believe a crypto account could be even set up to do the distribution automatically on a fundamental level, to a point where it would be technically impossible for anyone to use the funds in any other way. (for example even if the masteradmin got hacked and his access credentials stolen, it should be still impossible to just log in and wipe the account, because sending the funds somewhere would be technically bound to the voting system)

• The idea is great, but until cryptomining stop killing the planet I will oppose its use. Can NFTs be bought without cryptocurrency?
    It'd be cool selling unique first editions of software packages!

• this is a great idea. could it be possible for OSArch to provide NFT OSArch badges for open source AEC packages that are promoted on OSArch for use by the developers of the packages (if they choose to). the NFTs would not only be able to allow companies/people to donate to monay within the OSArch ecosystem but also allow open source software to display their affliation with OSArch in new way.

The idea is great, but until cryptomining stop killing the planet I will oppose its use. Can NFTs be bought without cryptocurrency?

but as @duncan said, i tend to agree with the sentinment that cryptomining needs to to stop killing the planet.

• @duncan @jchkoch do you mean just the proof of work cryptocurrencies or blockchain technology in general? Because as far as I understand it, the proof of stake cryptocurrencies like cardano don't use any more resources than any classical way of storing banking data (server of a bank) does and could be even optimized to be more energy efficient thanks to their decentralised nature.
    And no, you can't make a digital nft without a blockchain.

DADA_universe
  • @JanF yes, i do mean mainly the PoW cryptocurrencies not the underlying blockchain technology.

• @jchkoch said:
    @JanF yes, i do mean mainly the PoW cryptocurrencies not the underlying blockchain technology.

Agree. I've heard block chain has a lot of redundancy, but proof of work cryptomining is what stops me getting involved.

So the question is can I use fiat currency to buy an NFT?

• @duncan said:
    The idea is great, but until cryptomining stop killing the planet I will oppose its use.

Might as well oppose the practice of architecture and building construction, especially at the urban scale. The scale at which resources have to be deployed and consumed to provide shelter, accommodation and attendant infrastructure for 8 billion humans on the planet is directly responsible for some of the mass extinction of species and denudation of large swathes of the planet we are currently experiencing. We have not stopped building despite this gory reality, we are still doing things largely the same way. On the flip side however, and to be fair to the crypto space, innovation is happening at a faster pace there than the AEC industry has ever been able to achieve, hence while a token like Ethereum would be assumed to fall into the category of those "killing the planet" thanks to their energy intensive mining requirements, that won't be the case anymore in a very short while as its mining protocol moves away from proof of work.

Can NFTs be bought without cryptocurrency?

Same difference. NFTs are digital tokens minted and stored on the blockchain, just like cryptocurrencies which are also digital tokens.

It'd be cool selling unique first editions of software packages!

I think it's a brilliant idea for funding OSArch. Blockchain facilitates peer to peer transactions without a central intermediary, and that is great for Libre projects. One way to do it to avoid confusion over who collects for OSArch and how funds get disbursed is to pool a number of (willing) OSArch affiliated projects together and create a smart contract that automatically disburses a set percentage earned from each NFT sale to each participating project's wallet address and also allow for royalties from secondary sales, so there will be some potential residual income for each project. OSArch can then promote the NFT series jointly. The metadata / artwork used could be from screen shots for the projects or crowd sourced art from the community as a way of giving back to those projects. If we want to get really funky, we probably should be looking at creating a DAO for running OSArch.

• @duncan said:

@jchkoch said:
    @JanF yes, i do mean mainly the PoW cryptocurrencies not the underlying blockchain technology.

Agree. I've heard block chain has a lot of redundancy, but proof of work cryptomining is what stops me getting involved.

So the question is can I use fiat currency to buy an NFT?

You would most likely need to buy a crypto currency first with fiat money and then buy the NFT with the crypto. If you don't want to transact on / with an energy intensive blockchain, you would have to research which platform offers you that the right alternative, though most NFT projects and the communities that support them revolve around the Ethereum blockchain.

• edited October 2021

@DADA_universe said:
    You would most likely need to buy a crypto currency first with fiat money and then buy the NFT with the crypto. If you don't want to transact on / with an energy intensive blockchain, you would have to research which platform offers you that the right alternative, though most NFT projects and the communities that support them revolve around the Ethereum blockchain.

Well technicaly there's nothing stopping you from trading a NFT for anything, you could just meet on the street, exchange cash and send the token, but that would kind of defeat my purpose of simplifying international donations.

DADA_universe
  • @DADA_universe said:
    I think it's a brilliant idea for funding OSArch. Blockchain facilitates peer to peer transactions without a central intermediary, and that is great for Libre projects. One way to do it to avoid confusion over who collects for OSArch and how funds get disbursed is to pool a number of (willing) OSArch affiliated projects together and create a smart contract that automatically disburses a set percentage earned from each NFT sale to each participating project's wallet address and also allow for royalties from secondary sales, so there will be some potential residual income for each project. OSArch can then promote the NFT series jointly. The metadata / artwork used could be from screen shots for the projects or crowd sourced art from the community as a way of giving back to those projects. If we want to get really funky, we probably should be looking at creating a DAO for running OSArch.

Bumping this as I find the idea worthwhile.
    I've built and I am currently optimizing my first NFT minting Dapp for a project. Quite an interesting and involved process.
    I think OSArch is a good fit for the proposal if the governance side of things can be sorted out. The technology to support it is definitely accessible and OSArch already has a community that can drive it.

JanFtheoryshaw