BlenderBim BrickSchema

Came across brickschema at this tweet , which led me to this webpage .
Anyone with experience on this?

Comments

• When looking at bb issues, find that yes @Moult @brunopostle have looked into this blenderbim brickschema dependencies #1860

• @CadGiru the dependencies for Brick are installable, probably on a clean system you can do it with pip install without problems. If they are bundled in the blenderbim release package, then Brick will work for most users. My problem is that the dependency versions Brick requires conflict with packages already provided on fedora, so I can't supply Brick as an RPM package to go with the blenderbim RPM package (actually I have by hacking out bits that might be important, it is likely broken n some way).

Brick schema seems like exactly the sort of thing that blenderbim should support, so it is worth pursuing.

• another question to @topologic : can the dictionaries there be Brick-like or Brick integrated?
    and how does Brick hands 'schema' merging? or is a ifc merging only a tree combination and no operation on the schema.
    interesting.

topologic
  • @lukas said:
    another question to @topologic : can the dictionaries there be Brick-like or Brick integrated?
    and how does Brick hands 'schema' merging? or is a ifc merging only a tree combination and no operation on the schema.
    interesting.

I was more aware of BOT (https://w3c-lbd-cg.github.io/bot/) and thought there is a lot of intersection between it and Topologic.
    I just looked very briefly at Brick and it seems that with some domain-specific work, you can certainly encode a brick schema using Topologic. I am mainly thinking about three features in Topologic that can enable this:
    1. The Dictionary system is an obvious one. We can embed ad-hoc dictionaries in subtopologies of a topology as well as in the topology itself, so it can be hierarchical.
    2. The Content/Context system: You can 'pack' un-related topologies inside a parent topology and retrieve them later and of course these can have their own dictionaries. So a room can have the space boundary, but also the walls and floors, and the furniture as contents. These can be deployed and called on whenever needed, or hidden away in the content system. Topologies can also have multiple contexts, so they can belong to different topologic 'parents': A duct can be part of an 'HVAC system' but also part of the 'Room' that it exists in.
    3. The Topologic Graph class that can be easily converted into a Brick Graph.
    So:
    Brick has Entity, Tag, Class, Relationship, Graph. In Topologic: entities will be topologies, tags will be key/value attributes in a dictionary, Relationship will be reported back from Topologic (A is inside B etc) and saved in dictionaries if needed, and Graph is Graph.

• An excellent resource recently contributed to the OSArch Wiki is https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Brick_Schema

My personal impression is that whereas IFC was borne out of the BIM world, Brickschema was borne out of the BMS world (live sensors and MEP equipment). By integrating the two together, it effectively begins to deliver upon the promises of a "digital twin".

• and how about 'bot' ? something between ifc and brick ?
    or is ifc more the end description of brick and bot. combining the MEP description of brick (adding exact geometric position and giving the appliances a shape), and the 'rohbau' / raw-building description of BOT (adding the architectural details of wall-layers, windows integrations, stairs configurations).
    Brick and Bot is giving the ifc more 'intelligence' through more 'graph'-linkings, and feeding the ifc with massiv extra realtime/simulation-data.
    Besides BlenderBIM we would need an 'graphview' or 'topologic-sverchok/node' that feeds something like 'Paraview' for representing the 'logic' or 'data' informations of Bot and Brick. (VI-suite does this in Blender for simulaiion results (radiance, openfoam, fem), as do Ladybug-tools)
    It is getting a rounded picture. Time to start practising.

• BOT (https://w3c-lbd-cg.github.io/bot/) looks to me like a highly simplified subset of IFC or Brickschema. It seems fairly generic and I do not get the impression that it is specific to a domain (e.g. as Brickschema specifically targets the FM/BMS world).

IFC describes geometry natively. Brickschema has no geometry support. BOT has indirect geometry support, by referencing any other standard (e.g. OBJ).

All three, IFC, Brickschema, and BOT support relationships, which can form graph and be the basis for intelligent inferences. In terms of the "richness" of the relationships, I would sort them least rich to most rich as BOT, Brickschema and IFC being the absolute kitchen sink.

lukasCadGiru