IfcSverchok / geometry nodes

edited December 2021 in General

I had a look into the whole geometry nodes topic recently, and I have mixed feelings so to say. On one side, it would open a whole new dimension to the concept of parametric objects, far beyond what revit families or gdl can offer in the near future (if ever) . It's like visually programming your objects behavior, controlling the representations and properties even of every instance individually. Maybe intelligent interaction between objects (based on proximity or other?) could be implemented. Live update based on construction or production progress, stock availability etc. What can go into a python script could go into a node.
However, this would digress from a "pure" IFC solution, wouldn't it? The blend-file would contain more information than the IFC file.
Creating IFC geometry in geometry nodes would be quite interesting, extrusions, swept discs and all. What is your opinion about this?

Tagged:
paullee

Comments

• For now what's possible in the Geometry Nodes implementation is only to tie and manipulate information on geometry level (vertices, edges, faces, etc.), which in general do not interest most stakeholders when working on an ifc file.

It does not support any real abstract attributes. But I think it is not too far fetched to see it supporting more abstract concepts, and even scripting nodes to manipulate data outside of the geometry's realm. Coupled with the spreadsheet editor it could very well become a power tool for authoring ifc files.

tobenz