BB: Conceptual idea for a window frame generator in BlenderBIM

edited February 2022 in General

I don't know if such tooling exists, but I had the following idea to make a window generator in BlenderBIM.
The reason for it being to make a dynamic object library.

• Imagine the user can define an arbitrary grid of N panels.
  • Depending on the user input of N, will decide what the grid layout will be like.
  • In this example the User defined N=4

Now there are four panels A1, A2, B1, B2

Let's say we can swap meshes in the panels. So A1 can be replaced with a fixed window, while A2 with a right swing window
B2 with a hung window etc. You get the idea.

We can use the outline of the grid to swap profiling. So a wooden mesh profile, or a steel mesh profile.

I think using this method to programmatically create a Window Frame can be extremely efficient to make all kind of random Window Frames. But a lot of meshes will need to be predefined. Like profiles/panels/panels.

The main challenge is, I have no idea how to built this, or how to store meshes in Python code. Or how to roundtrip such elements in IFC.
But it would be fun to brainstorm about together.
Hope I explained my idea clearly. Please feel free to suggest.
I think for the sake of people joining, keep it conceptual, so people who are not developers can also chip in. :-)

Comments

• I have to say this looks interesting, but I am not sure how that would be used in the authoring workflow. It would be displayed in a preset panel and the user then chooses the one they want ? Archipack uses something similar

• I have to say this looks interesting, but I am not sure how that would be used in the authoring workflow. It would be displayed in a preset panel and the user then chooses the one they want ? Archipack uses something similar

Archipack is really great, the idea I have is slightly similar I think.. but the approach I am talking about is you would only define the elements you assemble a window frame with. Like mullions, profiles and panels.
    If you can swap the panels/profiles A1, A2 A...N whatever you would like, it means a really quick way of defining new window frames. Because you're using a grid system. And I don't know how roundtripping in IFC will work.

but I am not sure how that would be used in the authoring workflow.

Me neither :-). Maybe in the future when BlenderBIM is an IFC creation tool :-)

• Maybe with Geometry nodes we can do something similar?

• edited February 2022

Just a general comment. There is probably much more value in having such tools developed for regular Blender rather than BlenderBIM and enriching them with IFC data. If we start making such tools tied to BlenderBIM workflows that means not much interest from the non-AEC crowd who do most of the development in Blender. So personally I'm really keen on seeing tools like Archipack & Home Builder (which are mostly for ArchVis) strengthened to work better with BlenderBIM.

NigelCoendimitar
  • @duncan said:
    Just a general comment. There is probably much more value in having such tools developed for regular Blender rather than BlenderBIM and enriching them with IFC data. If we start making such tools tied to BlenderBIM workflows that means not much interest from the non-AEC crowd who do most of the development in Blender. So personally I'm really keen on seeing tools like Archipack & Homemaker (which are mostly for ArchVis) strengthened to work better with BlenderBIM.

Partially agree with you, I think IFC roundtripping is a very powerful aspect of BlenderBIM compared to other BIM software.

• @Coen right, IFC roundtripping needs to be baked into tools that offer assets for AEC workflows. I hope that doesn't mean us AEC folks need to have a whole different way to manage assets in blender ... that would be a shame. I hope that we instead can work together with people like @stephen_l (Archipack) or @Andyrexic (Home Builder) to make their asset managers OpenBIM friendly.

ArEhsanCNigelCoen