Target functionalities / real world outcomes list

edited June 2020 in General

In the meeting I asked a question about target functionality - ie. is there a list somewhere of what goals are out there, things that can be achieved with open source software in this space, demo projects.

@Moult provided the BlenderBIM IFC vs. Revit IFC features list which he suggested could be evaluated as a proxy for potential uses. However, BIM is currently predominantly oriented toward large scale commercial and industrial architecture, so even though as a programmer I can see the opportunities it's not sufficiently well grounded for the rest of us.

Another participant suggested Built Smart finalists, but again these are generally vague corporate workflow enhancement assertions and not feet on the ground outcomes.

I was thinking about real world outcomes more like:

• get a site survey done
  • model an architectural concept
  • perform shadow study
  • perform structural analysis
  • produce planning drawings
  • model projected vegetation change in landscape over time
  • generate maintenance schedule
  • generate materials (eg. door/window/cladding/panels) schedules
  • model existing building
    ... etc.

I think structuring information around how open source tools and workflows can be used to achieve these sorts of goals would help to generate more interest here from a broader audience and contribute to enticing people away from existing closed source defaults.

@duncan this may be useful for your web content plan. See also the graphviz-based potential workflow diagram I mocked up over here explaining the sorts of pathways available for site surveys.

basweintlangduncanpaullee

Comments