If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Any Ifc Software that is capable of 4D out there in the wild?

so i have created here an ifc file with 4D Elements and afterwards with BlenderBIM, i can do the 4D animation, however are there any other software besides BlenderBIM out in the wild, that can read my ifc file with the 4D Elements in it?

the purpose is to test my ifc file with the 4D Elements with another software? Because ifc is all about Interoperability, i believe.

The 4D Elements are for example IfcWorkPlan, IfcWorkSchedule, IfcTask etc.

Tagged:

Comments

• Synchro supported IFC2X3 to a degree (maybe only export?), but not sure if they progressed to IFC4. Bexel Manager I suspect has IFC4 4D and 5D support, but I've never personally tested it. The guy behind Bexel is also a cool dude and very keen on open standards. Ifc4D from IfcOpenShell lets you take the IFC data into traditional software like P6, Asta PowerProject, and MS Project. @SigmaDimensions has started coding basic 4D support in IFC.JS somewhere I believe.

Martin156131vpajic
  • +1 on what Moult said - I've used Bexel a lot and can confirm it's scheduling features are powerful and support ifc 4d and 5d

• i did download Bexel Manager, however it did not recognize the IfcWorkPlan, IfcWorkSchedule, IfcTask etc in my ifc file :(
    I am not sure what i did wrong, because BlenderBIM does recognize the IfcWorkPlan, IfcWorkSchedule, IfcTask etc in my ifc file.

• I've reached out to someone at Bexel and will see what they can do. Perhaps you can also help reach out? It'd be awesome to get them connected!

• I also send a ticket regarding the problem with the ifc file attached

• edited September 2022

So the support did answer me :)

We are glad you use this option. Information is saved (see picture below); only you missed one more step. When the IFC file opens for the first time, this additional information is not loaded automatically. Instead, you need to import that information from your IFC file (in this case, schedules) with our Exchange option (Exchange data with an IFC file>Import>Schedules).

So i could load my ifcWorkPlan, IfcWorkSchedule and IfcTask etc. however my cube were not connected anymore to those IfcTask's -> so just an gant chart without animation

I did now send a second support ticket describing the new problem

• @Martin156131 Ticket no 2 you've sent is a tricky one. BlenderBIM considers that constructing a wall is the output of a process, Bexel consider that a task "Operate On" on a product. Due to this difference, we are not creating the same database structure, so things will break a little without patching up the files first.

@Moult , put me in touch with Bexel, I've been investigating a little and found other discrepancies between BlenderBIM and bexel .ifc files. The very bad one that breaks interoperability is that Bexel seem to use custom Task types , whereas in BlenderBIM we strictly follow the schema's task predefined types

• @SigmaDimensions said:
    BlenderBIM considers that constructing a wall is the output of a process, Bexel consider that a task "Operate On" on a product.

Bexel needs to fix that, then. Output is the proper relationship. I've been told the best contact is support@bexelmanager.com - maybe also link them to this thread and propose to collaborate with some meetups?

• I have received a reply today.

But that was a very unsatisfactory answer....

• Indeed, better respond and ask for an engineer :)