If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Wall as an IfcElementAssembly or IfcMemeber as IfcAggregates of IfcWall

Hi All,
I was looking for a similar topic within the communities, and I have not found a similar conversation; therefore, I am going to create a new discussion.

I have modelled in Blender an "Internal Partitions - Timber Stud" with all the noggings, studs etc., and I don't know how to structure this information.

Semantically I thought that a wall is an aggregate of different components, accordingly:
I should create an instance of a wall and then use IfcAggregates to allocate the sub-member under the "IfcWall" so in ifcopenshell, I can use file.by_type("IfcWall") and retrive all the sub-components. However apparently is wrong because I am doubling the wall information and also, BlenderBIM doesn't allow me to do it (so I guess I am wrong :) )

As a second option, I have decided to use the IfcElementAssembly however is not clear to me how to link the sub-components are part of a wall? (can I use file.by_type("IfcWall")?) let's pretend that someone what to retrive all the wall in my project and that there are modeled like an aggregate of studs/plasterboard/insulation etc. How can it do it?

I am missing something... and I am going on a loop. Please help me. :)

Comments

• You should be able to aggregate a collection of elements inside an IfcWall. I think that the wall must not have a representation, it needs to be an 'empty'

Johannes990Arv
  • Hi @brunopostle this actually work !!! thank you :)

brunopostle
  • @brunopostle is the collection IfcWall/Empty automatically created by blenderbim or was that collection created and the empty IfcWall/Empty added to it.

• @Arv I can't check right now, but I think that you create an IFC element (a wall or whatever) using a blender 'empty' (normally you would use a blender mesh). You can then add other ifc elements to this in the outlined.

• @brunopostle said:
    @Arv I can't check right now, but I think that you create an IFC element (a wall or whatever) using a blender 'empty' (normally you would use a blender mesh). You can then add other ifc elements to this in the outlined.

Had some confusion earlier on this with IfcRelAggregates, all good now :)