Online summer course: BIM Collaborative Design Workflows with Speckle

edited July 2021 in General

This is happening this July, for anyone who can afford it and maybe share back some of that knowledge! ;o)

Online summer course at IAAC: BIM Collaborative Design Workflows with Speckle

Thought it might be useful to share given discussions had here about interoperability, which Speckle enables. Speckle has a plugin for Blender by the way.

Tagged:
Cyrilbaswein

Comments

• Looking up Speckle I came across this video from a couple of years ago that was interesting to me.

• @baswein said:
    Looking up Speckle I came across this video from a couple of years ago that was interesting to me.

Nice overview. Interesting that Speckle is developed from the standpoint that IFC need not be the all in all frame work for BIM.

Moult
  • edited June 2020

Speckle approach solve most .ifc issues when it comes to make true parametric interchange, and high granularity in communication when spreading changes between applications.
    Instead of trying to reuse a format not designed from scratch to solve such things (ifc), I think it may be a smarter choice to round trip data in design phase, and may open other doors like allowing design under any app like FreeCad / Rhino and document in blender, and keep ifc as long term storage format.

DADA_universebasweinArnoldEstruturas
  • A quick note that the Speckle Insider Programme has now kicked off.

Here's what that means, as taken from their blog:
    "We are planning the refactoring, recoding and re-engineering of Speckle. That's right, it's time for a 2.0! The Speckle Insider programme is a way for us to involve existing & aspiring Speckle developers on the journey to a better Speckle from the early stages of development.
    We are developing Speckle for the AEC industry and want everyone to be part of it! To join the programme, apply here."

Sharing this based on previous conversations in the forum that threw up Speckle as a likely (open source) candidate for achieving interoperability between BIM tools. Seems like a good opportunity to observe and hopefully participate as Speckle is rebuilt from the ground up, and maybe also get a chance to shape it in some way.

• Anyone know if the Blender - Speckle developers know about how BlenderBIM is implementing openbim? There might be a case for some coordination there so things in Speckle get handles in a way BlenderBIM recognises. @Moult @stephen_l