If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Invalid ArchiCAD IFC with grid polyline cannot be opened

edited August 2021 in General

https://filelink.org/in8in8eJwMWzva6
is the link to the file. Solibri says it comes from Archicad (written in the header, btw. I re-edited the names). IFC++ does open it. DDS-CAD-Viewer crashes, Dialux-evo also.
What are the procedure to repair that file? whenever a 'repair' is needed?
BIMtester ?
any advices are welcome.
Lukas
BlenderBIM error:
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\alberts\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\operator.py", line 136, in execute
ifc_importer.execute()
File "C:\Users\alberts\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\import_ifc.py", line 224, in execute
self.create_grids()
File "C:\Users\alberts\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\import_ifc.py", line 470, in create_grids
self.create_grid_axes(grid.WAxes, w_axes, grid_obj)
File "C:\Users\alberts\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\import_ifc.py", line 474, in create_grid_axes
shape = ifcopenshell.geom.create_shape(self.settings_2d, axis.AxisCurve)
File "C:\Users\alberts\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\libs\site\packages\ifcopenshell\geom\main.py", line 204, in create_shape
ifcopenshell_wrapper.create_shape(settings, inst.wrapped_data, repr.wrapped_data if repr is not None else None),
File "C:\Users\alberts\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\libs\site\packages\ifcopenshell\ifcopenshell_wrapper.py", line 642, in create_shape
return _ifcopenshell_wrapper.create_shape(settings, instance, representation)
RuntimeError: Failed to process representation item

Comments

• The error message suggests that creation of a grid's W axes failed:

self.create_grid_axes(grid.WAxes, w_axes, grid_obj)

To fix this, you can search for IfcGrid in the file, and use the IFC debug panel to create shape on the grid axes until it fails. In particular, this grid, with this axis, with this polyline is the culprit:

#622480= IFCGRID('23uIUjAukv$NeSa166u94j',#30,'Raster 001',$,$,#622421,#622477,(#622462),(#622442),(#622452,#622432,#622422));
    #622422= IFCGRIDAXIS('GG',#622427,.T.);
    #622427= IFCPOLYLINE((#622423,#622425));
    #622423= IFCCARTESIANPOINT((0.,0.));
    #622425= IFCCARTESIANPOINT((0.,0.));

As you can see, the polyline is invalid with coordinates from 0 to 0. Just delete the grid axes and you can fix it. Also, please file a bug with Graphisoft so they can fix it.

I also suspect grids are misused here. ArchiCAD does not have a site boundary tool (crazy right?). As a result, many ArchiCAD users abuse grids to draw boundaries, which I think is the case here. This leads to invalid axes, using usages of a "WAxes" where there shouldn't be.

Clearly, our industry has a long way to go before we can actually trust our BIM data.

• Thanks Dion,
    just gave values to 622423 and 622425 , and it opens the model..Thanks a lot..
    Is this kind of post, more something for the ifcopenshell/BB github issues?
    Take care.
    Covid Cases rise again in Germany too.. but probably there will be no lockdowns no more.. we are privileged in Germany that anybody can have its vaccine (they are afraid to throw out 3 Million dosis because some think they should not get the vaccine... crazy world), and business goes first :-(

• I think this is a more general OpenBIM problem with proprietary software, so it is good to raise awareness outside an IfcOpenShell specific bug tracker.

Yes, stay safe. Numbers are rising everywhere it seems.

• The next mistake coming from ArchiCAD and new-users is that the object within the ifc is not georeferenced or not really placed in the world.
    Dialux-Evo sends the model out of space and the drawings act has like it has a lot of uncertainty, walls have two lines or jumping lines..this is then a resolution phenomenon due to the misplacement of the objects. This is solved when the archicad-user follows the recommendations in the wiki.

• This is basically fixed in the current Archicad 25 version, where they completly adopted the survey point, but was also possible in the previous versions. Graphisoft provides a good documentation on this.

• There are still a few issues with ArchiCAD - I'm on a project now where I've discovered that ArchiCAD truncates the decimal points for map grid rotations. For this reason I tend to recommend exporting everything orthogonally.